Tuesday, May 11, 2010

View through the slats


The view when I swing away from my computer…

For a few weeks each year, my office “view” changes from the neighbor’s weathered fence to the intense splash of rhododendron blossoms. How I appreciate the cheery sight when I look away from the computer screen for an eye break!

When I turn back to the screen, I see a quote I wrote on a 3x5 card and taped right above it: “Two men look out the same prison bars. One sees mud, and the other stars.” Frederick Longbridge is credited with that little couplet. It’s powerful and so true: much of how we feel about life comes from the way we look at it.

I think of two friends with lingering health issues. One is upbeat, grateful, and a pleasure to be around. Her conversations focus on others. The other is a complainer and unpleasant to be around. Her conversations focus on herself.

One brings blooms to the room. The other brings gloom.

From time to time, I need to ask myself: which am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment