Monday, September 27, 2010

Praying by the Book, Part 1--Persistent in Prayer

My husband had brought home a “fixer” bike that came with a four-number combination lock and security chain tightly looped through it. Enter his assistant, the Great Bike Chain Sleuth, aka me. I methodically went through all possible combinations of the six-number reels. You math whizzes, that’s six to the fourth power, or 1,296 possibilities. Actually, I did that three times. Somehow, I didn’t have the winning combination exactly lined up, and the chain stayed shut. Only on the third try—my “entertainment” as a passenger on a long road trip- did it fall apart at 6214.

I looked up, rested my bruised thumbs, and said, “Thank you!”

Diligence. Perseverance. We need them in life’s daily tasks. We also need them in our spiritual lives, particularly in the calling to pray.

I’d like to suggest that a little hand-size notebook that costs about five dollars (or less if you find a used one) may help you be more consistent and fervent in prayer. I started using a home-made “personal prayer notebook” sometime in the Eighties—yes, that era of fluffy hair, huge shoulder pads, and ankle-length skirts. Styles may change, but the need of purposed prayer doesn’t.

Even with the availability of today’s electronic personal calendar and reminder devices, there’s still nothing like the paper version.

Some of you may remember how the personal planner craze of a couple decades ago popularized notebooks that got as big as a book. Their binder rings captured everything from a comprehensive daily schedule to shopping lists, family sizes, wish lists, personal goals (like “get organized”), financial records, addresses and maybe a personal journal. Some included a calculator and ruler. As I browsed office supply stores, I thought a few seemed huge enough for the agenda for the National Security Council of the United Nations!

I never went for the donkey-cart size. I made my own with a palm-size six-ring notebook. Just the basics, ma’am, to survive life with a busy family, which meant a calendar, to-do list, and a place for coupons. I also had one back section for “prayer requests,” all lined up with columns for “date asked, date answered.” But after a few years, that approach to remembering who and what to pray for just wasn’t working for me.

It seemed, too, that my prayer life was dropping to the level of a snack machine. You know the type: insert money, pull a lever, enjoy-empty-calories-that-plunk-into-slot. Plus, to be honest, my lists were getting so long. I was rushing through just to “finish the list,” not genuinely speaking to God about the people and things that I cared about.

For me, the solution came in separating it from the other “organizing” stuff of life. I started another small six-ring notebook, just big enough to fit in the pocket of my Bible cover. With stick-on labels, I divided it into daily sections, Sunday through Saturday, assigning prayer commitments to certain days. In the next few blogs I’ll explain just how it’s set up.

In recent years I’ve been sharing the specifics of this “personal prayer notebook” concept when I speak at women’s weekend events. Many find it helpful and buy up all the little notebooks I’ve created for them. My handouts disappear. What works for me seems to be what other women want, too.

Okay, I’m old-fashioned, still using paper. But it never fails me. It never needs recharging. And I don’t wear out my thumb knuckles looking for elusive information.

Over the next few blogs I’ll cover:
*Setting up a notebook
*Special prayers for your children
*Special prayers for adult family members
*A-Z praises
*Jordan Stones (got you curious on that?)
I’ll try to post them every Monday. Hope after visiting, you’ll forward the link to others.

(Did I say “link”—as in chain?)

1 comment:

  1. Such a picture of persistence. In some areas, I am very persistent but in others, I need some help. thank you for your helpful hints in how to stay focused in prayer.

    ReplyDelete