Friday, February 25, 2011

The UN-bucket List

One hazard of having a “bucket list” of life goals is that sometimes you need to empty the bucket. For one reason or another, that way-out dream may be okay for some people, but not for you.

That’s why I don’t raise show dogs (an overweight fixed male cat is enough for me), climb vertical rock ledges (one broken ankle suffices for life), or train five hours daily for Olympic figuring skating (avoiding the thorns while pruning our roses gives me enough twist and bend exercise). It’s why most little girls never get a pony of their own or old ladies their gleaming gold sports cars for trips to Safeway. It’s why I’m not hugging the computer to pick up the last-minute deal on a cruise to Outer Pretalonia (wherever that may be), knowing that the germs for Traveler’s Trots have me in their cross-hairs as soon as I leave home.

Maybe I live too vanilla a life, but I can look over some amazing and satisfying experiences. The best of all was helping my faithful husband raise two kids to responsible and God-honoring adulthood.

So, in picking even these minor “bucket list” goals, I think there are some principles to keep in mind.
1. Does it honor a creative God who also examines our motives? Proverbs 21:2 says, “All a man’s ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart.”
2. Is it a selfish goal that may bring detriment or loss to someone else? Proverbs 28:19 says people who chase fantasy will have their fill of poverty.
3. Could it be the route to a special gift from God? Psalm 37:4 has long been a special verse for me: “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” It may not be what I ordered up, but if I’m willing to flex and accept something different, He really enjoys giving it to me.

Enough thoughts for now. I have another “bucket” on my list today. The kitchen floor needs a mop dipped in a bucket of hot water. Been down with the flu, and the house shows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment