Friday, February 22, 2013

Passing the health quiz

“Live longer and better,” promised the title of a recent article in my newspaper. I’m already crusading in our home against sugar and white flour (as much as possible!). Wondering what more I could do, I read on and discovered:

To improve memory, I should go on walks, which are better for mental alertness than even crossword puzzles and ginkgo biloba supplements. (Where did I put my walking shoes?)

To decrease risks for diabetes and heart disease, I need to cut back on extended television watching. I’m not much for television, but as someone whose livelihood involves another sedentary device (computer), I took note. Better than excessive screen time: take a walk.

A middle-age history of bad habits (smoking, avoiding exercise, other unhealthy behaviors) doesn’t doom you. The article said even walking a few times a week can help such people stay healthier when they reach old age, than those who didn’t.

Opening the blinds helps you feel younger. I’m okay here. I keep our home bright during the day. I love looking out at the sky and plant life, and the sunlight helps keep SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) away. Even more sunlight: take a walk.

Physical activity and social connections lengthen life span. The experts say 5.4 years more. Another reason to take a walk!

Not all of the suggestion involved physical activity (take a walk!). Another was:

Volunteering improves your health, because it helps you find a higher purpose in life and fights against depression. For the past 15 months I’ve been sewing baby blankets for the local hospital to give its impoverished maternity patients. Just finished #200. Yep, a high purpose (to uphold the sanctity of life and bring glory to God). I serve people in other ways, too. Nice to know that being others-centered (which is commanded in scripture anyway--Gal. 5:13) has health benefits.

Experts also say it helps to have a walking companion. My husband and I take walks together at our town’s riverside trail. We thrill together to see wildlife (deer, beavers, ducks, eagles, red-winged blackbirds, geese, herons, cranes, even a skunk--which hastens our healthy walk!). But even when I walk alone, I have Someone along. God and I have some good talks as I walk. It’s something like David wrote, “Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee” (Psalm 143:8b KJV).

I’ll keep this short. It’s time for my walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment