Friday, August 2, 2013

Roy G. Biv's Lessons

When a large, moist weather system rumbled into my parched hometown a few weeks ago, the aftermath included a brilliant double rainbow as sun beamed through the waning showers. When I spot these colorful arches in the sky, I’m reminded of Genesis 9 and God’s promise to never again destroy the earth by flood. I also recall images of Ezekiel 1:28 and Revelation 4:3, which tell of a full circle rainbow in portraying God’s glory. I can’t begin to imagine it.

For now, that transitory arch is wondrous enough. Oh, I’ve read the encyclopedia's explanations of how a rainbow is formed.  From childhood, I’ve known the “Roy G. Biv” acrostic for remembering the order of colors as sunlight is bent through water. Something I didn’t know until recently: the second, fainter rainbow has its colors in opposite order from the first.

Perhaps somebody else already thought of this, but I began thinking how the color order is also a guide to teaching about the Gospel.  The bottom part of the rainbow is always violet, then indigo, colors reminding me of royal standing and of the heavenly dwelling place of our creator God. “Blue” reminds me of how I tend to look up, to the skies, when yearning for the presence of God. Green is this earth that He created, and that we haven’t taken the best care of.  Yellow and orange remind me of drought, neglect and pollution. Also, yellow is a cliche for "fearful." Finally, there is red, which takes me to a harsh hill in Jerusalem where my Savior spilled His blood for my salvation, to enable me to live with God forever.

Rainbows also remind me of God’s special love for His people. When “floods” of sorrow or trouble wash over the lives of believers, they’re not left to themselves.  God said (through the prophet Isaiah): “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you” (Isaiah 43:2).

Hours before His arrest and botched “trials,” Jesus gave His disciples this warning and hope: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me.  In my Father’s house are many rooms...I am going there to prepare a place for you” (John 14:1-2). Just before returning to Heaven, the scars of the crucifixion on His resurrected body, Jesus said: “Surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).

The same reminder of God’s trustworthiness (and which blends Deuteronomy 31:6 and Psalm 118:6-7) came in this early church letter: “’Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’  So we say with confidence,’ The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid; what can man do to me?’” (Hebrews 13:5b-6).

These rocks, painted with rainbows by children, sit in my office
window. The lettering says, "Jesus is the Rock." They're a good
 visual reminder of the Lord's rock-solid help in life's hard places.

Best of all, the vision of Heaven accorded the old disciple John gave us this awesome look beyond Heaven’s royal curtains: “The throne of God and of the Lamb [Jesus] will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads” (Revelation 22:3-4).

The beauty of Christ is revealed in a Christian’s life when a believer looks beyond earthly troubles, seeing that these are momentary events. Suffering is not wasted when it comes with evidence of Christ’s resurrection power.

So, go ahead and think of “Roy G. Biv” in marveling over the consistent blend of millions of hues in the rainbow’s arc.  But think, too, of the “ark,” as in “Noah’s ark.”  When life is stormy and seems out of control, God is still at work. His promises are even brighter than the rainbow that He traces across our earthly skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment