Monday, January 5, 2015

In His hands

There’s unspeakable awe when you cradle the grapefruit-size head of a newborn.  Knitted together, as Psalm 139 says, in the darkness of a mother’s womb, each baby is a bold statement  of God’s amazing creative power.  Those were some of my thoughts as I held my second grandchild, a boy, a few days ago.  As I handed the little one, mere hours old, over to my husband in the hospital room, I was struck by the poignant image of hands, big and small. These scriptures came to mind:
Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands. (Psalm 119:73)
But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, “You are my God.” My times are in your hands... (Psalm 31:14-15)
Even as adults, we are cradled, as it were, in the powerful, loving hands of God. May we never forget that! Life will come with its hard times, but we have the Lord’s help.

A few verses later in Psalm 31 come verses that parallel a modern Christian expression: “God is good, all the time.  And all the time, God is good.”
How great is your goodness which you have stored up for those who fear you. (Psalm 31: 19)
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord. (Psalm 31: 24)

This little one has the name “Zion,” taken from another name for Jerusalem and implying “strength.” He will need strength and help for surgeries to correct his crooked little smile from a cleft lip and palate. Yet he is blessed to be born into a home where Christ is honored.  This grandma’s prayer is that some day he will say, similar to the psalmist,  “I trust in you, O Lord. You are my God.  My times are in your hands.”

No comments:

Post a Comment