Sunday, October 11, 2015

Positives out of negatives

Page 286 of this book has
my chapter, "A Message at Stake."
Eighteen years ago today (October 11) my family was almost killed by a drinking driver. By coincidence, but also appropriately, this week I received my author copies of the newest "Chicken Soup for the Soul" anthology, subtitled "Think Possible."  My piece, one of 101 in the book, tells how Proverbs 3:25-26 helped me decide to bring positives out of this negative experience by speaking to convicted DUI offenders, urging them to drive sober from now on.

There's a detail in my story you may find fun, about a hidden blue plastic "it's a boy" plant stake I noticed in the potted chrysanthemum that somebody brought to express their concern and care. I was 50 years old the year of the accident, with no plans to enlarge the family.

Instead, the son who received the most injuries that night, enlarged the family. From his marriage came two delightful little grandsons, now  nine months and two years. We had lunch with them today, and as I fed the baby his pureed food (I think it was carrots) he lifted his arms and said "mmm, mmm, mmm" all the way through.

Life doesn't always offer us "mmm-good" experiences. The wreck was traumatic and frustrating. But we lived, by the grace of God, who can lead us to redeem our pain.

During my writing career I have contributed to about two dozen books. This is my fifth time in the best-selling Chicken Soup anthologies since 2006.  Other titles I'm in are those for "Chicken Soup 2," "New Mom's Soul," "Caregiver's Soul" and "Here Comes the Bride."  The book uses writers from a broad spectrum of belief systems, but I'm grateful that I can represent Christ through this avenue. My message is not about a "positive attitude," per se, as much as trusting God to bring good out of difficult circumstances. Or as the scripture I cited in my essay says (it's also one that I have marked "Oct. 11, 1997" in the margin of my Bible):
Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared.

No comments:

Post a Comment