Friday, January 8, 2016

Impressionable

A series inspired by sights of Kauai.
Its resemblance to a textile innovation attributed to French weavers of the 1800s gave this flower the popular name “chenille plant.” “Chenille” comes from the French word for “caterpillar,” whose fur the fabric supposedly resembled.  Even today, chenille bedspreads are popular for their retro look.  I remember, as a child, sleeping somewhere on such a bedspread, maybe at the home of someone we were visiting. When I woke up, the adults chuckled over the imprint that the ridges left of my face. Looking in the mirror, I agreed that I was quite a sight.

GOD’S IMPRINT ON JESUS
Later on, the Biblical concept of “imprints” helped me link faith with practice. First, we need the “imprint” of God in Christ’s life. These two New Testament passages speak of that. One uses the Greek eikon, which means an image that both represents and manifests God. .
He is the image [eikon] of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. (Colossians 1:15)
The other [charakter] is used in several situations, one to describe a tool for engraving, and the other for a stamp that impresses an image into something, like a mold for coins. One place it’s used of Christ is Hebrews 1:3:
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation [charakter] of his being, sustaining all things by His powerful word.
In other words, everything of Jesus’ character showed us God, like a coin coming out of a mold in the treasury mint.
 
GOD’S IMPRINT ON US
We’re so used to having Bibles around that we probably don’t realize how revolutionary it is to have Jesus’ biography and teachings so handy. As we study those scriptures, the Holy Spirit helps us see how Jesus taught about God the Father. “God is love” was revolutionary for those who tried to appease idols or those in traditional Judaism who equated faith with endless rules.  Christ’s followers took the “imprint” idea a step further.  They said, basically, “Jesus taught us about the Father, and we’re now taking the discipling (imprinting) to you, who don’t have the privilege of walking and learning from Him first-hand.” Peter, who had his share of suffering as a Christ-follower, told churches under his care that Christ led the way with His example of suffering for doing right:
To this [unjust suffering for the faith] you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. (1 Peter 2:21)

When Paul saw churches in a tizzy over gray areas (in their case, eating meat offered to idols), he said to watch his life for ways to keep Christ first:
For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:35b-11:1, emphasis added). 

When Paul had to chide the Christians at Thessalonians for being lazy, he pointed out how he worked at his secular job to pay his way while ministering to them.  Again he used the term, “follow my example” (2 Thessalonians 3:7, 9).


GOD’S IMPRINT ON ME
As the chenille plant image returned me to these passages, I found myself doing a lot of self-examination. Does my behavior always reflect Christ?  Do I leave a godly imprint wherever I go? How do I behave around frustrating people? Do my words and lifestyle choices say, “Christ controls all”?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that insight into Jesus, the scripture and us. Easily understood and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that insight into Jesus, the scripture and us. Easily understood and clear.

    ReplyDelete