Friday, February 12, 2016

Beauty and the thorn

Part of a continuing series inspired by sights of Kauai.
Ow! A tiny rose thorn had punched through my garden gloves and found a deep hiding place in my thumb. Digging with a sterilized sewing needle wouldn’t budge it, so I covered that area with a bandage and went on with life, trying to ignore the pain. How could such beautiful flowers emerge off such unfriendly stems?

 A similar thought came as I rediscovered bougainvillea growing throughout Kauai. The same flowering vine grew by the front porch of my childhood home in Los Angeles. I was warned to stay away from it because of the thorns. But the delicate, paper-like blooms were so fascinating!

Bougainvillea, which thrives in tropical climates, received its unusual name in 1768 when a botanist discovered it in Brazil. The scientist was aboard a ship commanded by Admiral Louis de Bougainvillea, and Brazil was one stop on the admiral’s quest to become the first Frenchman to circumnavigate the world. He did so, surviving sailing through the treacherous tips of South America and Africa. From its native South America, bougainvillea spread around the world, with 300 species now identified. Their colors range from white to apricot, pale to dark pink, and bright to bluish red.  The vine’s heart-shaped, paper-like three-leaf “blooms” are actually bracts, from which emerge the small white tubular flower.

Plus thorns.

Thorns, of course, have a powerful spiritual analogy for life. I’ve certainly wrestled with personal application of Paul’s perspective on “thorns.” He admitted having a frustrating condition that impaired him and simply wouldn’t go away, no matter how much he prayed about it.
To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations [visions of heaven], there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, emphasis added)

Years ago, amidst a time of many “throny” problems, I learned a simple chorus that often comes back to me as hope. Try singing this to the tune of “Blessed be the tie that binds,” then thank God for the flowers beyond your “thorn.”
As thy day so shall thy strength be.
My grace is sufficient for thee.
My power’s made perfect in thy human weakness,
My grace is sufficient for thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment