Friday, January 27, 2017

Arm strengtheners


Before January ends, we probably need to talk about fitness. Okay, so I don’t have wonder weights, and my elastic pulley is a bit puny. I do have just enough “aids” (thanks to yard sales) to help with some arm fitness. But none of these provide the marvelous “arm” promises I get from the prophet Isaiah. I read beloved portions of that prophet several times this past year as I got punched down by negatives in my life.  If that was your situation, join me in recalling these words:
I have chosen you and not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:9b-10)

The first rule in Bible study is context, and this verse addressed a nation that was falling apart because it had rejected God.  Soon, the southern kingdom of Judah would fall to the Babylonians (the “one from the north” of 41:25) and the unthinkable—getting carted off as prisoners to a foreign land—would take place. In this passage, God reminds them that He chose Israel through Abraham to represent Him to the world because He wanted to, not because they deserved it. In our times, all Christians are chosen to represent God to the world. Though hard times may scatter believers, God hasn’t forgotten them. We need not fear because:
He is with us (“I am with you”)
We have a relationship with Him (“I am your God”)
He offers His strength, help and victory.

Long ago, when teaching a young girl’s Sunday school class this verse, I led them in hand motions for what God does.  “Strengthen you” was the bicep pose.  “Help you” was an open hand out.  “Uphold you” was an open hand reaching up.” 

Later I realized how the hand is the organ of personal action.  The “right hand” of verse 10 implies God’s personal action in making His promises come true.  I think that’s why this passage in Isaiah touches me so deeply.  When I am feeling  alone and emotionally beat up, I need a divine advocate.  And there He is, right behind me, with that strong, righteous right hand that is mightier than any assault from the enemy. Sometimes, it came in the form of caring, mature Christians.  Other times, it was a whisper from a devotional book or scripture reading that said, “Jeanne, I will help you and uphold you.  That’s My promise!” 

“Exercising” faith in that promise was a great fitness move for me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment