Friday, October 13, 2017

Feeling sluggish


It’s a day I’d rather be attacking my chores, but instead I’m slogging through things with a drippy nose and a haze over my mind.  Between allergies (thanks, ragweed and weeks of smoke) and not enough sleep (waking up at 4 a.m.), I identify with the energy of a slug.  I admit that slugs get to where they want to go, though it takes a long time. And their presence isn’t exactly welcomed by most gardeners.

“Sluggishness” is no modern malady. Proverbs makes several references to the issues that keep a person from reaching his or her God-potential.

Proverbs 6:6-8 contrasts the “sluggard” with busy, think-ahead ants who prepare for the future that will come all too soon. “When will you rise from your sleep?” the writer asks the “sluggard.” Well, my “druthers” would have been rising at 6 a.m., but I’m aware of people who have real issues with wanting to get up. They have no compelling goals for each day or the future. One of my study Bibles comments in the margin: “As he waits and does nothing, opportunities slip away, and without notice his poverty and need overwhelm him.” 

 Some other observations of a “sluggard”:

He’s annoying to be around (Proverbs 10:26).

He wants everything given to him (13:4).

He imagines impassible obstacles (15:19).

He lets opportunity pass him by (20:4).

He craves things but won’t work for them (21:25).

He allows unfounded fear to makes situations seem worse than they really are (26:13).

He lacks inertia and a get-going attitude (26:14).

He waits for others to do things for him (26:15 and 19:24).

He thinks he knows it all—but doesn’t (26:16).

Well, enough whippings by a strand of cold spaghetti. I really do have goals for today. Every day, it seems, my “to do” list exceeds my hours. Today, now that the allergy meds have slowed down the nose faucet, I’m up and about and ready to go, though not at 100%.  Yes, an hour’s nap this afternoon will be very welcome.  But I will have prepared ahead for dinner, with the meat thawing and a menu in mind. (No, not fried slugs.  I’ll leave that delicacy to weird people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment