Friday, March 2, 2018

Garbage mouths


Someone who looked and talked “rough” had come to look at an item my husband was selling. As the conversation continued, he used profanity, then stopped and remarked to me, “Pardon my French.”  Well, it wasn’t French, and I’m not sure if he caught himself in his weakness because I was a woman or because of the invisible qualities of faith.  I don’t quite recall my reply, but I think I said something like, “Well, thank you.  That’s not how I say things.”

This happened years ago, but I’ve become aware of how “garbage mouth” has also crept into the church.  Yes, we need to welcome those who haven’t reined in those tongues, trusting the Lord Jesus to do His cleansing work as they submit to Him. But I’m bothered by those who do the “Christian things” but cannot tame their tongues.

Please, no more OMG

One thing that slices a knife in my heart is to hear so-called popular oaths spoken in church and even by spiritual leaders from my church’s platform.  That includes the “OMG” slang (said in full or abbreviated).  Automatically I recall the Third Commandment:
You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. (Exodus 20:7 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition)
I hope the only time I say the entire “OMG” is when I get to Heaven and kneel in worship, maybe even go face-down, amazed and awed by His purity and glory. I recall how Isaiah described his  own "undoing" in the vision of God’s throne room:
Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips, for my Eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. (Isaiah 6:5 NKJV).
Right after that, one of the seraphim (heavenly ministering creature) touched Isaiah’s tongue with a coal he had taken with tongs from the altar, representing purging of Isaiah’s sin.

So-called “casual” swearing isn’t the only habit that saddens me.  Paul named some of those behaviors:
But now put away and rid yourselves [completely] of all these things: anger, rage, bad feeling toward others, curses and slander, and foulmouthed abuse and shameful utterances from your lips! (Colossians 3:8, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition)

Sick labels

Unless we live in an isolated bubble, there will come time (if it hasn’t happened already) when we’ll experience those sins, or even commit them ourselves.  Last year, someone’s negative attitude toward me climaxed with them calling me a “b---h.”  Knowing this person had used this label for others who'd genuinely tried to help them didn’t take away the sting. I felt cheapened and demeaned by this vulgar term. Ditto for other times I’ve experienced someone’s negative mouth. In highlighting these sins, I’m ever mindful of my own weaknesses, and the need to say, as King David did:
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit with me....O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. (Psalm 51:10, 15 NIV)


Am I alone in being bothered by “OMG”? I welcome feedback in the comments section

No comments:

Post a Comment