Friday, July 7, 2023

SAVORING IT

Our backyard fence is a squirrel highway between a walnut tree five houses away and a critter hideout just across the street from us. That means they have to briefly brave street traffic, but they’re quick, and there’s not much come-and-go on our one-block neighborhood. Often from a window facing our back yard, I’ll spot a squirrel pausing on a fence post, its tail flicking in anticipation as it nibbles its latest nutty find. I know it’s a long shot to relate this to a Bible verse, but this sight brings to mind Jeremiah 15:16 (KJV):

Thy words were found and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

This verse connects with the first chapter of Jeremiah and the prophet’s God-ordained commission to prophesy a not-too-popular message. Even though the prophet objected that he was too young for such a great task, God gave him this assurance: “You must go to everyone I send you and say whatever I command you” (1:7).

Jeremiah didn’t win any popularity contests with his “shape up” warnings to his nation. Yet his relationship with God, and his commitment to the truth of God’s Word, kept him going despite the hardships that came his way with an unpopular message.

So, back to squirrels. Sometimes the pace of life makes me feel like a critter racing along a narrow fence board. The spiritual nutrition that keeps me going is there, but needs to be dug out, like a squirrel’s sharp front teeth prying out nutty nutrition. I’m grateful for the pastors and Bible teachers who patiently taught me out to “pry out” scripture’s nutrition through various Bible study methods. They’ve helped me to get to the spiritual “meat” of scripture. 

Did I say “meat”? Isn’t “nut meat” another word for the nutritious stuff inside the hard shell of the walnut? And was my squirrel-and-walnut analogy somewhat accurate (though a bit nutty?).

Maybe, but I savor the times I’m reading a scripture and something makes me pause and think, to digest, and then to thank the Lord for using the written Word to teach and encourage me. No fence-post-balancing act required!

No comments:

Post a Comment