Friday, January 5, 2024

UNDRINKABLE

My front-loading clothes washer recently reminded me of a Gospel presentation that happened so long ago in my life that I can't even remember my age at that time. But I do recall its “magic” with chemicals. The traveling evangelist (er, chemist) presented a glass of black water. (No, it wasn't extra-strong coffee!) He explained that the black water illustrated our sinful hearts. Then he added some red liquid (representing the blood of Christ) and—magic!--the water turned clear again.*

Back to the washer. The bottom front of mine has a little trap door.Without bothering to read the owner's manual, I decided to do some experimenting. Behind it was a screw-out filter and a clamped nozzle. The filter held gooey gunk and a pieced earring (not mine, maybe from someone whom I helped by doing their laundry). The nozzle dribbled disgusting black liquid (what you see in the drinking glass). When I got around to reading the owner's manual, I learned the little mouse-size door was the guardhouse for the "Drain Pump Filter." It's to keep excess lint and foreign objects (buttons, keys, rings) from damaging the pump.

What? Are you guessing at my analogy? Maybe that of allowing the Holy Spirit and scriptures to “filter” our sinful or even edgy choices that impair us spiritually? The Bible put it this way: “Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God” (2 Corinthians 7:1).

You probably see where I am headed with this. Left without spiritual filters, my life would easily clog up with grudges, bitterness and other things that don't befit a follower of Jesus. But through scripture reading and application, prayer with a tender heart, and sometimes through difficult life events, God helps me “filter out” the attitudes and actions that don't belong in my life.

* Don't try this at home: I think bleach is involved. Here's a You-Tube about the illustration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_SMrnEiaI) 

No comments:

Post a Comment