Friday, March 1, 2024

ALL SPICED UP....

Articles that start “How to” often grab my attention, and this time the “how-to” was about when to cull the kitchen spice collection. Those little bottles and cans of flavoring aren't like cheese, which sports a white and blue overcoat if neglected a week or so too long. But like any organic matter, spices are vulnerable to growing “old.” The article said dried, ground, whole herbs and spices react to air around them. Thus, they oxidize and degrade every time they're opened. The article also said anything sold in a can (versus plastic or glass) probably dates back almost to the pyramids, and needs a decent burial.

Could I be so neglectful and guilty? The answer: yes. I kept my spices on a two-tier round turntable, one level baking spices, the other “cooking” ones. The contraption fit nicely into the hard-to-access corner cupboard. Pulling it out, I discovered—gasp!--several canned spices. Some even had stamped “use before” dates, which took me almost back to President Herbert Hoover (sorry, just kidding). I couldn't even remember when I last used them. As each can or plastic bottle was scrutinized for date or usefulness, the eliminations brought me to just a handful of finalists. I wiped down the turning-shelf, reloaded them in alphabetical order (all right, go ahead and tag me as somewhat of a perfectionist, but why not?), and pushed Ms. Turning-shelf back in the cupboard.

Okay, this is not a homemaking advice column, although I did write something of that nature way back in the 1970s as the “Home and Food Editor” of a small-town daily. But the Bible does speak of salt and spices in negative and positive ways.

The negative was the “extreme tithe” practiced by the religious leaders of Jesus' time. The Lord had to be frowning when He declared:

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of our spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice,mercy and faithfulness. (Matt. 23:23)

Woe to you, Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. (Mark 11:42)

I can't even imagine them counting their seed collection to make sure they had one-tenth to put in their offering baggy!

And don't forget salt! Ancient Hebrew priests sprinkled salt on offerings, symbolizing purification, preservation and dedication to God. Likewise, Jesus used salt as an analogy to true spirituality, suggesting positive flavor and the purifying influence of godliness.

You are the salt of the earth. (Matt. 5:13)

Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other. (Mark 10:50)

But wait, what about Bible verses about salt (meaning believers) losing its saltiness? (See Matt. 5:13-16 and Mark 9:49-50.) Scientists tell us that over time salt can absorb water molecules, which diminish its power. Can our faith be likewise diluted? Yes. There's a term for it: “backslide.” We get bland like the God-rejecting culture around us.

Regarding my turntable graveyard of old, old spices: I culled its contents to the ones I really used, and replaced two that went back to horse-and-buggy days (well, not quite). And I reflected on how the “old, old story” of Jesus and His love will never expire!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment