Friday, April 26, 2024

GOOD NAMES

Her name tag said “Edna,” and I was impressed by the joy and courtesy this clerk at my local hardware store showed as I hunted items in the garden section. Immediately, I thought of another “Edna,” who lived across from my childhood home. She faithfully practiced a “religion” of lodges, achieving in her old age the rank of “Grand Worthy High Priestess” of her particular lodge.I couldn't help but contrast their personalities. The local Edna treated me like I was the most important customer of the day. All I bought was rose food and shredded bark. But her customer service was tops. I commented on her name, saying I'd only known one other Edna. Neither of us knew the name's meaning.

When I got home, I did two things. The bottom of my sales slip said I could comment online about my store visit, so I logged in and praised her customer service. Survey done, I looked up the meaning of her name. I learned that women named “Edna” were found in old Bible-times writings.

One was the wife of Enoch, the great-great-great-great-great grandson of Adam, and great-grandfather of Noah. We're told Enoch lived a holy and faithful life for more than three centuries, then was taken straight to heaven without earthly dying. The other “Edna” was a wife of Isaac's hunter-son Esau, known for conflict with his twin brother Jacob, who cheated Esau of his birthright.

The Bible doesn't tell us about the character of these women, but the name means “pleasure, delight.” And who wouldn't want to have such a reputation associated with our names? On a return trip to the hardware store, I took a 3x5 card on which I'd written out the meaning of Edna's name. She'd never known its “meaning,” and flashed an appreciative smile.

My little “name hunt” reminded me of the truth expressed in Proverbs 22:1: “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” I'm not saying that a particular name guarantees a blessing, but a person's good character certainly honors it.

My name, Jeanne, is a French feminine of the Bible name, John. My dad was named “John,” and I've learned it means “God is gracious.” Since I wasn't “John Jr.,” perhaps the “Jeanne” etymology from “John” influenced my parents in choosing my name.

Researching names can be quite interesting. I know I have a “name twin” (first/last) in this state who has served faithfully in her city's government. Some years ago, we met when she passed through my town. I'm grateful for her good reputation!

But this whole “name-thing” makes me think twice about people who don't live up to the meanings of their names. Or, birth names aside, they call themselves “Christian” and don't reflect the love and care of the Lord Jesus. A good relationship with a good God is a very good thing! Through the prophet Isaiah, God expressed how special Israel was to Him. He created the nation, one person at a time, and called them out to settle Canaan:

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine. (Isaiah 43:1)

The principle still applies. Those who are called out by God—those who wear the faith-name “Christian”--are to conduct their lives in a manner worthy of Him. Our testimony may show up in the most unusual places, like the “garden center” at a local hardware store.

No comments:

Post a Comment