Friday, September 6, 2024

AMAZING SOCIAL GRACE

"Amazing grace"--sin's chains broken
The globe on which we live bears many scars of wars and hatred, among them the “Apartheid” issues in South Africa that divided the black and white races. From that sad time of history comes an account that shouts of the mercy of God, no matter our race or address.

A court dealing with the atrocities of the Apartheid movement was hearing the case of Mr. van de Broek. He and other white police officers were accused of killing first the son, then the husband, of a black South African woman. She was forced to watch them incinerate her still-alive, bound husband. His last words to her, “Forgive them.”

Years later, the main killer was in court (the “Truth and Reconciliation Commission”), accused of murder. Across the courtroom sat this elderly mother and widow of those slain. The commission asked her what she wanted to punish their slayer.

Her answer: First, for her husband's killer to take her to the place where he was burned to death. She wanted to gather his ashes and give him a decent burial. Then, she added:

Second, Mr. van deBroek took all my family away from me, and I still have a lot of love to give. Twice a month, I would like him to come to the ghetto and spend a day with me so I can be a mother to him. Third, I would like Mr. van de Broek to know he is forgiven by God, and that I forgive him, too. I would like someone to lead me to where he is seated, so I can embrace him and he can know my forgiveness is real.”(1)

Someone led the elderly woman across the courtroom to van de Broek, who--overwhelmed--had fainted. Someone else had started singing “Amazing Grace,” and the courtroom joined in. How appropriate, that song—its lyrics penned in 1772 by former slave-trader-turned-clergyman John Newton.

It's a powerful real-life story. And not just about the ugliness of murder and apartheid. It's about our sinful bent toward despising and harming others....and the higher calling of forgiving, and giving.

(1) “Become my Son” | More Enigma Than Dogma

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete