Friday, August 3, 2012

S.W.A.P.

When author copies came of an article I wrote for a Sunday-school take-home paper, I took a second look at the envelope. A neon yellow sticker said, “Inspected and prayed over by TA.” I have no idea who “TA” is, but I was moved by that extra touch. It also got me thinking about what spiritual message I “inspect and pray over” as I begin each day with opportunities to honor (or distract from) my Lord Jesus.

One of my favorite prayers to read the first morning of an overnight women’s retreat, when many are bleary-eyed from night-before shenanigans, goes like this: “Dear Lord, so far today, I’ve done all right. I haven’t gossiped, lost my temper, or been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or overindulgent. I’m really glad about that. But in a few minutes, God, I’m going to get out of bed, and from then on, I’m probably going to need a lot more help. Amen!”

I’ve heard it said that there are two types of people: those who say, “Good morning, Lord,” and those who moan, “Good Lord, it’s morning.” I know which version honors my Savior! He cares about every detail of the day ahead. As I awaken, I need the attitude of the psalmist: “Morning by morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; morning by morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation” (Psalm 5:3).

I’ve learned that when I sit and am quiet before God in the early morning, my mind whirls with things I need to do. That’s why I have a little scratch pad nearby. I write those things down to get them out of the way. Often they are tasks that God wants done that are outside my normal tasks of managing my home. At times, the ideas for this blog come as random words. When I’m the one who needs “a lot more help” to get through encounters with difficult people or situations, I truly need a day that is S.W.A.P.—sealed with a prayer.

So thank you, “T.A.,” whoever you are at the publisher in Springfield, Missouri. When you pressed that sticker on my package, you made me think…and blessed my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment