Friday, August 10, 2012

Which way to the will of God?


These seemingly contradictory signs
were posted at a hairpin curve.
Enjoy the snow...I snapped this in March!
 Ever felt that finding the will of God was like this pair of signs—you don’t know which direction to believe? You’re not alone in wrestling with decisions of education, vocation, marriage, location and finances. Many seem to want a supernatural GPS telling them, “Do this,” or “do that.”

Isaiah 30:21 grabbed me as a young adult seeking to do God’s will: “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it.” But I wondered just how I could hear that voice behind me. Years later, I’ve realized I hear God’s voice in several volumes, from quiet assurance to strong presence. I’ve also learned that following God’s will involves loving Him, seeking Him in prayer and scripture, honoring Him through abilities and resources, and representing Him in such a way that others are drawn to Him.

The specific term “will of God” is found in several places in the Bible. These include sexual purity (1 Thess. 4:3); prayerfulness, thankfulness and spiritual sensitivity (1 Thess. 5:17-19); and exemplary behavior (1 Peter 1:15-17). But there’s more to God’s will than just that phrase. All of scripture instructs us toward the godliness that is the will of God (2 Timothy 3:16). For example: serve others instead of just thinking about yourself (Gal. 5:13); and honor God in your work (1 Thess. 4:11-12, 2 Thess. 3:11-12). Those and many more help us discern God’s direction.

Many have been helped by the counsel of George Mueller, who ministered with giant faith to multitudes of poor in 19th century England. His now widely-published counsel in discerning God’s will included these steps:

1. “I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the knowledge of what His will is.

2. “Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.

3. “I seek the Will of the Spirit through, or in combination with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

4. “Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5. “I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me aright.

6. “Thus, (1) through prayer to God, (2) the study of the Word, and (3) reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly.”

To Mueller, there were no contradictory, confusing signs. He trusted God to show him the route, and then he went forward in what brought God honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment