Friday, June 17, 2016

Think tank: "lovely"

Part of a series on Philippians 4:8.
What can be lovelier than a rose? I write this from my recliner within sight of a “get-well” bouquet of orange roses my husband gave me.  He watched me cough and struggle for breath for more than week, and finally took me to the clinic where I was diagnosed with pneumonia  and given a powerful prescription to fight it. How grateful I am for the hope of a “cure” in modern medicine. 

I never tire of watching roses as they unfold in sublime beauty. We have more than a dozen bushes ablaze with single-stem roses in our front yard.  Plus we have a rose hedge dotted with dozens of pink blooms.  Our rose garden, besides bringing beauty to our home, allows us to pick bouquets to communicate “congratulations” or “we care” to people in our lives.  This grace of “sharing” reminds me of an etched-in-stone message in the arboretum at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho.  Amidst the splattered shadows of its pathways is a stone bench with this carved message: “The fragrance remains in the hand that gave the rose.”  In poetic brevity it reminds me of the truth that whenever I touch or serve someone in the name of Christ, I am blessed, too.

So whenever I am reminded through Philippians 4:8 to think about things that are “lovely,” I once again am taken to the life of Christ.  Someday I will see His face, and I am sure it will be so pure, compassionate and lovely that I can barely contain myself with amazement and appreciation.

Our culture defines loveliness as a composite of features considered beautiful, painted, poufed or cut into culturally pleasing combinations. The beauty industry is huge.  Little girls watch the “Miss America” pageant wanting to look like those young women.  (Hey, I did!) Or they adore the doe-eyed Disney cartoon princesses. But the Bible’s definition of “lovely” looks at character.  Here are definitions I found for the original Greek for “lovely”:

*”That which is admirable or agreeable to behold or consider.”
*”Pleasing, agreeable, lovely.”
*”Lovely and lovable.”
*”Gracious.”

Men can be lovely when the character and wisdom of Christ comes forth through their demeanor.
Women can be lovely...”paint or no paint”...when the character and wisdom of Christ comes forth through their demeanor.  One of the loveliest women of my life was a squat, gray-haired woman who wore a little lipstick “for Sundays.” But I most remember her for spreading the fragrance of Christ’s love in my life. She was part of my young adult life for less than a decade, but I will never forget her diligence in studying scripture and encouraging me with her prayers.

Think about whatever is lovely?  I can do that in savoring the beauties of God’s creation.  I can also do it in remembering those who “gave the rose” to my life.
 
Next: "of good report"

1 comment:

  1. I am new to your blog and LOVE it! I am part of a summer book club who is using your book, When I Felt Like Ragweed, God Saw A Rose. It is super expensive on all the sites I am finding, do you have any suggestions on where I might find a reasonably priced copy? My library doesn't have it either :( God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete