Monday, June 27, 2016

Where a friend has "dwelled"

We live on opposite ends of the nation, but have known and prayed for each other for half our lives. I’d like to introduce my friend Lucinda Secrest McDowell, author of many outstanding Christian living books, including the newest, Dwelling Places. We met in the early 1980s when students at Wheaton (Ill.) Graduate School, studying communications. As I walked its halls and paths, I often thought of the college’s role in shaping missionary martyrs, like Jim Elliot, killed in 1956 along with four others by Ecuadorian tribesmen they sought to reach with the Gospel.

There’s an interesting word, “serendipity,” which can be loosely defined as “wow!”  And that was my reaction when she connected with a group of graduate women who decided to meet weekly to study the book of Daniel and pray for one another.  We learned Cindy (I know her by that nickname) had recently lived with Jim’s widow, esteemed author Elisabeth Elliot, when Cindy was a student at a nearby seminary. Cindy’s role was to help Mrs. Elliot with correspondence and shuttle her to the airport for speaking engagements.  After I earned my master’s degree at Wheaton, and Cindy moved on in her role with an international evangelism conference, we kept in touch.  She later married a widower with three children, birthed a daughter, and moved back to the East coast where her writer and speaking gifts bloomed as she raised her family and fulfilled a role as a pastor’s wife. 


Cindy describes herself as a “story-teller,” and she is that and more.  She’s also well-read in classic and contemporary Christian literature, a deep thinker of scripture, a lover of hymns, and able to turn the phrase that opens up Biblical truth.  Her most recent book is one you’ll want by your thinking/praying chair to read during your devotional times.  In two brief pages, each based on a word or phrase, she provides thought-provoking devotional thoughts and an uplifting God-conversation.  I'll let her speak for herself in the following interview.
 
How did you come to write this book?
 LSM: So…. how did I come to write a book called “Dwelling Places?”  Honestly, this one-word-a-day devotion (meant to both inspire and teach) came out of my own need to know. And to grow. Every year I choose a “word from the Lord” and find myself marinating in what it means to my life on all levels — spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. Last year the word was DWELL and as I explored the many facets of DWELL, I recognized my own desire to learn how to dwell in peace and serenity and joy and hope; rather than spend my time in exhaustion and hurry, chaos and confusion.
 
 Turns out God’s Word is full of dwelling places – those sanctuaries of refuge and abiding. In my new book “Dwelling Places” I offer 130 of those words and unwrap their meaning through storytelling, biblical teaching and hundreds of quotes from hymns and godly people who are my own teachers. 
There are actually four sections which can be read at any time, but they include 30 days for Advent and 40 days for Lent if you’re interested in trying out that special discipline during the church year. DWELL (Fall) SHINE (Advent) RENEW (Lent) GROW (Summer). OR just read any word, any page at any time.
I loved writing this book and felt each word and verse were truly given to me. I absolutely know the benedictions at the end came straight from God through my pen. I am humbled and grateful to be able to share these words. 
Which word in “Dwelling Places” was the hardest for you to unpack and write about?
LSM: There were several but “unseen” was one of them (day 31 in Renew/Lent) using Paul’s words found in 2 Corinthians 4.18 “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” Our culture lifts up the seen, the prominent, the successful. But here Paul is reminding us of what truly matters – that which, though unseen, lasts forever. Those kinds of qualities and endeavors. I began to pray and ask God to show me what that might mean in my own life. I discovered a story about a once-famous worship leader who had a stroke and now serves in the stock room of Trader Joe’s. His interview about a huge paradigm shift from highly visible to literally unseen helped me understand a bit of why Paul calls us to treasure the unseen characteristics and efforts. Because our Heavenly Father always sees…
Why should people read “Dwelling Places” ?
LSM: My observation is that people everywhere are hungering for refuge. A safe place. A true home where they can live authentically. Ask the hard questions, and receive all the grace and mercy needed after devastation. In my speaking and writing I long to help show that all throughout God’s Word the precious concept of “dwelling in His constant presence” is lifted up. In the Old Testament we are directed to sanctuary, refuge, and called to Be Still. In the New Testament we are encouraged that Christ wants to make His home in our hearts.
So I decided to write a devotional that lifted up these concepts – each day based on One Word in a key verse. My goal is that throughout the stories that are shared, the biblical and historical profiles mentioned, the hymns, poetry, and even children’s books will all work together to help teach the reader how to live the deeper “with God” life. But at the same time enjoy the process of knowing where to find hope, grace and mercy. In other words, these are words that touch a hurting world. Everything I do must have a practical aspect so I hope there is a takeaway each day on how to live the word you have just been reading about. Also, I felt compelled to offer a short benediction, as though God were now giving His blessing and charge on your going forth, now strengthened with His Word in your heart and mind.
What is the main message of your “Dwelling Places”?
LSM: The triune God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – offers His presence, power, purpose and provision for a full life if only you will trust Him in faith and obedience. Allow Him to be your Refuge, your Guide, your Healer, your Teacher, your Inspiration and your Hope. Soak up all His words offered to you – at least once each day – thus making spiritual deposits that will reap a lifetime of fruit.
What was the hardest part about writing nonfiction?
LSM: Sharing vulnerably true stories of parts of my life which illustrate the word for the day. But because that flows out of the unique Story God has called me to live and to share, it also becomes the most empowering and joyful part of writing (and speaking) non-fiction.
What is one thing you learned while writing “Dwelling Places”?
LSM: I assure you, I always learn far more than my readers ever do. When I write a book, it literally becomes a tutorial in life for me on that subject. Honestly, focusing on how all the ancient spiritual disciplines (quietness, solitude, worship, journaling, prayer, Bible study, etc) has widened my world in ways that are helping to transform me into a person who seeks to listen more, take risks, trust God’s sovereignty and embrace my limitations. I also learned about embers, Native American busking ceremony, the Wesleys’ struggles in Georgia, homeless choir in Dallas, David Brooks Dartmouth graduation speech, the original meaning of many, many biblical words, taproot system of Kudzu, what ‘konmariing’ is, angels in Siberia, trapeze artists, how dumb sheep really are, the consequences of aphasia and lots more!
Tomorrow, a taste of "Dwelling Places."
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment