Friday, April 13, 2012

Heaven: The Greatest Home Makeover--Day 9

THE DOOR
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
–Matthew 11:28

Picture someone at Heaven’s door. Maybe they’re surprised to be here. They expected more years of life, but an accident or sudden, fatal illness propelled them here. Maybe death came after a long, painful and discouraging illness. They may hesitate, fully aware that they have never been here before. Yet, at some point they made a commitment to live forever on the other side.

They step back just a bit, enough to see that the door is held together by cross-shaped timbers. The only way to Heaven is through that cross. They remember what was said of this: “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God” (1 Cor. 1:18). They know there’s no turning back, only going forward. What would they tell those they will leave behind? Here are some famous dying words:
*“Into Thy hands I commend my spirit! Thou hast redeemed me, O God of Truth.” –15th century German reformer Martin Luther, who repeated the prayer thrice.
*“The best of it is, God is with us.”--the great British preacher John Wesley, 1791.
* “Earth recedes, Heaven opens before me. If this is death, it is sweet! There is no valley here. God is calling me and I must go.”--Evangelist D.L. Moody, 1899.
*“The Lord is coming for me today. He’s at the foot of my bed now.” --Audrey Wetherall Johnson, founder of Bible Study Fellowship, 1984.
*“Rejoice with me because I am no longer in this earthly tent. I am in the presence of the living God, satisfied at the deepest core of my being.”--Campus Crusade founder Bill Bright, 2003.

Whether we’re famous or unknown, at death’s door only Jesus matters. Janet recalls of her mother Doris: “The presence of the Lord was so apparent the last few days of her life. She kept saying, ‘Alleluia, praise Jesus,’ as though she had constant communion with her Lord.”

We’re also equal at that door, marked by a Cross. Jesus’ call is the same. “Jesus is calling, ‘Come unto me,’” Georgia kept telling her dying friend Eleanor. “And I will give you rest,” the weakening woman would reply. “Are you ready?” Georgia asked, knowing Eleanor’s earthly life would soon end. “Oh, yes!” Eleanor answered. Georgia noticed that a wall near Eleanor’s bed had a print of Salmon’s famous brown-tone painting of the head of Christ. Georgia decided to bring another famous print, Reed’s depiction of the hands of Jesus, known by the title “Come unto Me.” “See Jesus’ hands?” Georgia asked Eleanor, pointing to the artwork she’d brought. “He’s saying, ‘Come unto me. Are you ready?” And Eleanor, despite being so ill, managed a confident reply: “Oh, yes!”

When Eleanor lapsed into a coma, her daughter began a death vigil. Georgia came to give the daughter a break and began reading Bible passages aloud to Eleanor. “I knew she was in a coma,” Georgia said, “but I also know that hearing is one of the last senses lost. I decided to read from John 14—‘Let not your heart be troubled. In my Father’s house are many rooms.’” A nurse came in, checked Eleanor and told Georgia, “She’s really failing.” Georgia kept reading aloud. About five minutes later, the nurse checked again and said, “She’s gone.”As the nurse went to call Eleanor’s daughter, Georgia felt compelled to keep reading aloud, this time from Revelation 21 about Heaven meaning no more death, pain, or sorrow. From the other side of death’s door, Georgia believed, that would be Eleanor’s message to her loved ones.

Someday, each of us will hear the same invitation: “Come unto me.” Philip Keller, author of A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, said, that for a child of God, death is not an end but a “door into a higher and more exalted life of intimate contact with God.” (Zondervan, 1970, p. 84).

When Heaven’s door opens, where will you look? Down—at the nail prints in His hands? Then up—at His wonderful look of love? His voice will melt all doubts as you step over the threshold.

Prayer: Jesus, I love You and I want to come unto You, through the door marked by a cross. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment