Friday, July 26, 2013

The Name Game

My battered name book, which I keep
handy for choosing names in fiction.
Our son and his wife will soon welcome their first baby—our first grandchild. They had a girl’s name picked out early in her pregnancy, then learned it’s a boy. We haven’t heard their choice for a boy’s name.  Sounds like they’ve had some discussions, as my husband and I did when picking out names for our firstborn.  I remember when we told my husband’s parents the baby’s name right after his birth.  Their reaction was on the order of, “It’s what?”  “Zachary” (which means “God remembers”) wasn’t way out there, but it had no family precedents.

I had favored naming our firstborn “John” in memory of my godly father.  It’s a good, solid Bible name.  But my husband’s family line included a “John” whose reputation was rather tarnished.  So, “John” went down.  So did a pile of other names that reminded my teacher-husband of students he’d rather forget.

The other night, a newscast showed a man being arraigned for a terrible crime.  I cringed when the reporter said the accused man’s first name: “Christian.”  His behavior certainly didn’t match the standard set by our Lord.  I recalled  a story from a taped testimony by Dr. James Kennedy of “Evangelism Explosion” reputation. In it, he relayed a something associated with Alexander the Great, the famed world conqueror who lived three hundred years before Christ. Stern and ruthless, he often sentenced errant soldiers to death. One day, a 17-year-old was led before him, accused of fleeing from the enemy and hiding in the cave. When asked his name, the youth said, “Alexander.”  The king’s face flushed with anger. Exploding out of his throne, he grabbed the youth by his tunic and shouted, “Soldier, change your conduct or change your name!”

Proverbs 22:1 says, “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” When, by faith in Jesus as Savior, we take the label “Christian,” we take on a good name—a Name above all names. With it comes the awesome responsibility of representing the Lord with the utmost integrity, grace, and compassion.  Our conduct reflects on our King of Kings, whose name we bear.

Do we fail Him, like that cowardly soldier? Yes.  Is He compassionate, willing to forgive? Yes, yes.  And here’s something better:  someday, the name our parents gave us won’t matter anymore.  Revelation 3:12 says God will give us a new name.  Although I like my name (it’s the feminine of “John” and means “God is gracious”), I’m confident God’s choice will be wonderful and just right!

1 comment:

  1. Jeanne, I'm so thrilled for you and your family. Congratulations on the coming birth of this precious little boy. My precious grandson is now 6. You're gonna love being a grandma. So special! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete