Friday, January 11, 2019

SLIPPING (Psalm 94)


Boots with hearty traction (or at least pull-on cleats) are our choice
 for January traction. But in posing these boots for a photo,
 I thought of the scripture that urged us to "walk" with care in representing 
Christ--to be "shod" with the Gospel of Christ (Ephesians 6:15)
(Part of an ongoing series on the 48 psalms recommended for times of “feeling down,” from pastor-counselor David Seamands’ book, Healing for Damaged Emotions.)

We expect super-fast in our lives. Microwaves, internet speeds, supersonic flights—any ways we can shave time off things, we want them. But it doesn’t work that way in life’s tough places. “How long,” the psalm-writer whines to God, “will the wicked be jubilant? (Psalm 94:3). He feels his hope and opportunities are slipping away (v. 18). The psalmist wants God to do something about the bad people and situations in his life—and quickly. He’s saying, “I can’t do anything about it, God, but You can.” He addresses God as “the God who avenges”—and that last little word is a key to unlocking this psalm’s truths.

REVENGE VS. AVENGE

It’s human (and sinful) to exercise vengeanceto act negatively out of revenge for a hurt. But a slightly different word, avenge, rightly describes God’s role as our legal advocate upholding His holiness and sovereignty when we are wronged. Long ago, He clearly stated that His role is to avenge and pay back an enemy (Deuteronomy 32:35, quoted Romans 12:19-20). Our role when wronged is this:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath. (Romans 12:17-19a)

IT’S GOD’S PROBLEM

I tend to bottle up my hurts and problems, with unwanted results for my physical and emotional health. I echo the psalmist’s complaint:

Who will rise up for me against the wicked?
Who will take a stand for me against evildoers? (Psalm 94:16)

But God’s way is reflected in this quote attributed to Martin Luther:
I have held many things in my hands and have lost them all; but whatever I put in God’s hands, I still possess.
The psalmist reached a similar conclusion:
When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O LORD, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” (Psalm 94:18-19)

IT’S OUR EARTHLY HOMEWORK

One day my body demanded that I rest but my mind swirled with thoughts of someone’s negatives toward me. “Change the channel, Lord,” I prayed. “I don’t want to keep thinking about this.” I believe the Lord wants me to recall just enough to keep praying for this person,  but to leave to Him the issue of avenging for the wrongs done against me. In learning the grace of letting go, especially of bitterness, and letting Him handle it, I experience the lesson of Hebrews 12:14-15:

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.  See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.

The psalmist ended up with that conclusion, too, calling God his fortress and the rock of refuge (v. 22)

I’d like God to right all wrongs and make things all happy-and-dandy during my lifetime. But it may not happen that way. So when I ask, like the psalmist, “How long?” and He answers, “Trust me,” I must. He sees life from eternity past to eternity future. The negatives I may experience now are but a blip on eternity’s screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment