Friday, September 6, 2019

SQUEEZE THE DAY


I happened to hit the fabric store on just the right day. Their bonus for shoppers was a big reusable shopping bag with a fun saying.  My one cone of serger thread and a small notion, both bought on a half-off coupon, rattled embarrassingly on the bottom. But I liked the saying, a takeoff on “Carpe diem” (“seize the day”) attributed to the Roman poet Horace. His idea as that one should enjoy life while one can. Well, to me that sounds almost narcissistic, and I’ve seen enough of that negative character quality in people who think life is all about them. But “squeeze the day”—as in squeeze the tangy goodness out of the sourest of fruits--for me implies finding the best in even the negatives and pressure points.

I’m glad my Bible checks me on the other meaning of “enjoy life while you can.” Yes, that seems to be the message of Ecclesiastes until you get to the end of that book, and the author admits there’s a better, God-perspective to the days we’re allotted to live.  Scripture has a phrase, “make the most of every opportunity,” and I think this gives the more God-pleasing approach to making the day count. Among verses that use it:

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity” (Colossians 4:5).  I call that “propriety,” acting wisely and kindly to others. Mud-slingers make enemies, not friends.

“Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the LORD's will is” (Ephesians 5:15-17). This one teaches me to keep my eyes open to God-opportunities so that even in negative experiences I can grow and glorify Him.  No griping!

“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers” (Galatians 6:10). This is my reminder to be Jesus to the people around me. No mean or demeaning words—and if I experience those from someone else, to resist reacting in the same negative way, instead looking to Jesus, who understands.

As I write this in early August, we are reeling over back-to-back mass gun violence in Texas and Ohio. An ordinary day ended in horror not only for those killed but those injured or left behind. For some of the deceased, stories of Christian faith will emerge.  For others, sadly, the nightmare will never end. I know I was changed by my tiny experience of another’s reckless decision to drink and drive. But we lived, even the drinking driver in the other vehicle.

Squeeze the day....opportunity waits to turn sour into sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment