Friday, March 20, 2020

PESTILENCE


One by one they were announced this past weekend--the restrictions on places where people congregated and were apt to share the deadly Corona virus: churches, schools, senior centers, sports and cultural events! I understand, but it is still hard to get my mind around this sudden change in daily life.  I went (gloved but not masked) to my favorite discount grocery store the other day. As I expected, many shelves were bare of basics, thanks to hoarders. As I meandered over to the bakery goods (just restocked), I commented to an employee, “This is scary, all this panic buying.” He replied, “It shouldn’t scare people. We’ll still get our food deliveries on Monday and Wednesday.”

But I “get it” about avoiding invisible contact with a powerful virus that has already taken lives. I’m avoiding going out. Washing my hands lots more. Sanitizing surfaces. Trying to be aware of when I touch my face. Gargling with salt water. And trusting God.

PESTILENCE AND PLAGUE
The scripture that came to mind as soon as we realized the virus wasn’t just a Chinese disaster was Psalm 91.  We have to be careful about applying scripture haphazardly to news events, but I couldn’t get these verses out of my mind:

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. (Psalm 91:5-6)

Fear is a big thing right now. We need to be alert and careful, but not out of control. This psalm (like Psalm 46, “God is our refuge and strength”) is a reminder of Who we serve and Who is ultimately in control of our eternal destiny. A few days ago the Seattle paper ran a half-page ad from someone who wrote up a treatise, full of Bible references, about hell and the destination of people who reject Christ. I didn’t read through it, as it struck me as coming at people with a nail-spiked club. For the same money, the man who placed it could have fed the hungry, helped pay for medicine, and presented the love of the Christ who died for our sins. Better that people know we are Christians by our love, not our Bible-banging.

As for Psalm 91’s references to “the pestilence that stalks in the darkness” and “the plague that destroys at mid-day,” I appreciated the wisdom of James Montgomery Boice’s commentary on this psalm. He said the passage does not teach that we’ll be entirely spared from disease or pestilence. On the other, we probably have no idea of how many times He has protected us when things could have gone really bad.

I think the key words here are “you shall not fear.” We’re to be prudent about our health habits—and especially so in times of widespread illness—because staying well enables us to serve Jesus longer and well until our time on earth is done.

I read somewhere that Psalm 91 was the last scripture read by Corrie ten Boom’s brother as the entire family waited in a local police station after their arrests for sheltering Jews. Only Corrie survived the terrible persecutions of the war, using her extra years of life to tell people about resting in the shadow of the Almighty (Psalm 91:1). That should be our message, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment