Friday, April 24, 2020

ENTHRALLED


This book had my grandsons’ attention—all three of them (ages 2, 5, and 6).It’s one that plays the tink-a-tink electronic music. This one advertised itself as “lullabies” but was actually excerpts from well-known classical music. Here the threesome (in front of my rocker) are absorbing Bach’s “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring.” 

When the book finished its “play,” the oldest turned and said to me, “I like that lullaby!” Someday he will learn it’s a sacred song, not intended to put babies to sleep, but to wake up sleepy Christians to how Jesus should be our joy and our desire!  Isaiah 12:2 says “the Lord is my strength and my song.”   And guess what the next verse says? “With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.”

It’s my desire (there’s that word again) that these little guys (and my granddaughter) grow up with a deep love for scriptures. I know that’s hard in a culture shaped by prolific media sources that exalt "self"  and self-gratification over God-focused choices. I think of Joshua, as he took on the leadership mantle of the Israelites after Moses’ death. On the cusp of entering their new homeland (after 40 years) they no doubt felt like orphaned children without Moses to lead. But Joshua was a wise and seasoned leader.  His first charge was...yes...that they would continue to desire to follow God and find joy in His commands and precepts:

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and succeed....Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:8-9)

As the “reading trio” broke up to migrate to other toys, the oldest said, ”I’m going to my office!” That’s what he calls a child’s desk in the guest room set up with learning games and books, crayons and such. It’s his place to get away from siblings who’d rather play trucks or build train tracks. I thought to myself, “Don’t we all need a place to get away, to read that ‘Book of the Law’? And to be reminded of the riches that are ours because of Jesus (Jesu) , the true joy of man’s desiring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment