Friday, December 11, 2020

PEACE

There are a few peaceful pools as the Wenatchee River winds its way from the mountains to its confluence with the Columbia River. This pool is near a locally famous candy (and more) store called “The Alps.” What a great place in summer to pause during a trip, sip something hot or cool, and nibble just-bought candy! Of course, it's also a drinking fountain for local wildlife that prefer calm waters to the boisterous rapids.

Such scenes bring to mind the imagery of Psalm 42, which begins:

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.(42:1)

I'd like to end the psalm right there, but it goes on about missing the sweet fellowship of worship at the temple. Apparently the writer was at some distance from Jerusalem, and because it's inscribed “a maskil of the Sons of Korah” he may have been part of the temple worship team. He is, in fact, smitten with sorrow. “My tears have been my food day and night,” he goes on, “while men say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'” (v. 3). He's not among people who share his spiritual outlook. Thus, the image of this graceful animal, so thirsty it is panting as it seeks out a source of water.

The restrictions placed on “worship gatherings” during our contemporary pandemic remind me of a deer seeking water. My husband and I are in the high risk, gettin'-old category. We've been “back to church” a few times, masked and seated apart from others. But we noticed many skipped the masks, thinking some “distancing” was enough. Not with singing! I'm grateful the services were videotaped for those whose health issues would make it better to stay home. But I still felt like that deer, panting for something to quench my unique spiritual thirst.

I'm probably not the first of “Covid Congregants” who have stopped at other shorelines for spiritual quenching via the internet. I am careful where I visit, but I know God sees into my heart and knows the messages I need for my particular circumstances and growth. At one “sermon-visiting” place, the pastor is going through Hebrews and the “heroes of the faith” list. How apropos, as Covid-19 stokes up the fear factor about disability and death from this phantom disease. These stalwarts of ancient times had their own “fear factors” of enemies and disasters. Many died without seeing wrongs made right. But, the writer of Hebrews says God commended their faith (Hebrews 11:39) even though they didn't receive on earth what they thought they should have.

That's the balance needed for the doleful tone of Psalm 42 and its companion, Psalm 43, which keeps lamenting,
Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (42:5, 11; 43:5)

“Feeling downcast” has been a theme of most of 2020. Besides COVID, there's been racial unrest, a tumultuous campaign season, and unprecedented weather and fire disasters. At times I feel parched and wonder, “When can I go and meet with God?” If anything, it has reminded us that “church” isn't the only way God reaches out to us. He can do so through the encouragement of other mature Christians and carefully selected Christian programing. But best of all, He speaks through His Word, through those quiet times of opening scriptures, and being quenched at His river of hope and truth.

This past year I've found it hard to sleep through the night. No problem: I go to my recliner, open my Bible, and drink it in like a parched deer. We have a Savior! We have a God who cares! And we have eternity ahead....



No comments:

Post a Comment