Friday, October 7, 2022

JUST LOWLY SPUDS

We'd gotten a bag of potatoes that were rejected by the produce company for size, including this mammoth one that I decided to name “Bud the Spud” before I peeled, cooked, and mashed it for dinner. I gave it some fake “eyes” (though it had a few of its own, au natural) for its portrait....and thought of a game from my 1950s childhood that featured a plastic potato. The aim of the “Mr. Potato Head” game was to decorate it with all sorts of plastic “items,” like mustaches and hairdos. I guess, the uglier the better. But don't laugh: those half-a-century-ago game spuds sell now for $175-225 on resell sites. I find that... incredible.

I guess I shouldn't, as there's something in our culture that thinks “the bigger, the better.” The more luxurious, the lovelier. The flashier, the favored. The more “decorated” (as in military medals or academic degrees), the more desirable.

Paul turned that tendency upside down when he described what should characterize a Christian:

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. (Romans 12:3)

He went on to describe the various ways Christians live out their faith, according to the “giftedness” with which God has endowed them. Some are gifted in declaring God's truth. Others serve, teach, encourage, share resources with those in need, lead, and show mercy (vv. 6b-8).

The walls of my little office/sewing room have some award certificates given me as a writer and speaker. The recognition was affirming, but I have learned that they aren't the whole picture of God's call on my life. Some days I really feel like a lumpy old potato, wondering if God can still use me. Then I remember: He specializes in new recipes as He “grows” a servant. In my cooking life, I can transform a “spud” with recipes for baking/twice-baked, scalloped, mashed, hash-browned, and fried. Similarly, God knows what's best for the rest of my years on earth.

And who knows what God can do through the raw material of a human being? Pastor Charles Stanley of our times has said, “God takes full responsibility for the life wholly devoted to him.” Nineteenth century evangelist D.L. Moody said, “The world has yet to see what God can do with a man fully consecrated to him. By God's help, I aim to be that man.” Missionary martyr Jim Elliot wrote in his journal: “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

Our culture tends to elevate and even worship celebrities. That's not God's usual way of doing things. He seems to delight in reaching down into a mesh sack and pulling out the most unlikely candidate to prepare for His work. Like me.

Curious about the world's biggest potato? Here's a whopper that looks like a curled-up gnome:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/giant-potato-may-have-smashed-the-world-record/ar-AAQmFQk


No comments:

Post a Comment