Sunday, January 30, 2011

More lessons from the cat....

I had a wordless sermon early one recent morning as I left bed about 6 a.m. for my rocker, where I keep a heating pad to help the stiffness from a lingering back issue. As soon as I settled in (ah…warm…soothing), I became aware of a pair of amber-green eyes mounted on a gray striped head staring at me. Thus began the four-point sermon, in true alliterative speech outline style:
LOOK at likely source of nourishment (buyer of cat food, mostly healthy, some filler).
LISTEN for the golden words: “Aug-cat, are you ready for breakfast?”
LICK the dish clean.
LINGER in case the human says, “Do you need more?”

After spooning that disgusting cat food in his bowl, I settled back in my rocker for more back-warming and brought my Bible to my lap. As Aug-cat slurped away, I realized there were some similarities with my “feeding time” with God.
LOOK to God, who wants to nourish me with His Word (100% healthy, no filler!)
LISTEN with my eyes for the golden words that express His love or correction.
LICK the dish clean. I read with a pen, linking repeated words, making comments in the margins.
LINGER, savoring what I’ve just read, then talking to God. If I want more, I know His answer:
LEAP back in.

Actually, the cat does say something to me in cat language. He trills a little “brrruppp?” and turns on his purr. Feeding time over, he’s at the back door, scratching at the threshold, eager to face his fearful world and protect his territory…for about half an hour.

Oh, cats. Sometimes the analogies end....except to remember that I should be even more eager for my morning "manna" than he is for cat slop!

No comments:

Post a Comment