Friday, August 19, 2011

Attitude check-up

My son drives a car that’s pushing 200,000 miles on the odometer—and I feel a bit like that when I go to the doctor for my annual checkup, as I did a few days ago. The good news is that I’m still “good for the road,” despite the inevitable maladies of aging.

As I came home from being prodded and poked and peered into, I thought of another “checkup” I need from time to time. This one concerns attitudes of “sluggard-ness,” and it gets its exam questions straight out of the book of Proverbs. Among its probing questions:
Do I trust God or cling to unfounded fears? A sluggard fears what is unlikely to happen: “There is a lion outside....I will be murdered in the streets” (Prov. 22:13).
Do I embrace or resist life’s challenges? The sluggard would rather stay in bed than face life: “As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed” (Prov. 26:14). He wants an easy life on his own terms, as in this image of needing someone to feed him: “The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; he will not even bring it back to his mouth” (Prov. 19:24).
Am I a “doer” or a “quitter”? The sluggard, says Proverbs 6:10, would rather sleep life away, either literally or by doing nothing. In contrast are the ants (vv. 6-8), which shoulder on in gathering food. Proverbs 20:4 says the sluggard doesn’t plow when it’s time to plow. By procrastinating, he doesn’t reap a crop when others do.
Do I seek solutions or get stuck in problems? The sluggard sees only problems. His way is blocked with thorns (Proverbs 15:19), meaning he gives up too easily.
Am I a learner or a know-it-all? Proverbs 26:16 nails the difference: “The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men who answer discreetly.”
Do I take care of what God has given me? The includes material possessions as well as abilities and opportunities. Proverbs 24:30-31 says the sluggard’s home and fields are broken down and full of weeds because he doesn’t take care of them. Proverbs 12:27 says if the sluggard goes hunting, he doesn’t dress and roast his game. He lets it rot.

Proverbs 13:4 says “the sluggard craves and gets nothing.” What an utterly sad verse! Thankfully, there’s a second part, a positive opposite: “but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.” Even though I don’t have the energy of my “younger” self, I can still set daily goals that seek to bring honor to God. Unlike the “real” garden slug, who leaves a slimy trail, I can leave, with God’s help, something positive behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment