Friday, December 14, 2018

LONGING (Psalm 84)

Grain elevators--symbols of God's abundance
(An ongoing series on psalms to study during times of depression, as recommended in pastor-counselor David Seamands' book, Healing for Damaged Emotions.)
She was physically blind, but spiritually she saw much. One day in 1874, prolific hymn-lyricist Fanny Crosby was visiting with a New York hat-maker who also composed music. He played his newest tune and asked if it suggested any words to her. She exclaimed, “Close to Thee,” and soon dictated the poem that came to her. It began, “Thou my everlasting portion.”  This phrase, used often in the psalms, referred to how the Levites (who took care of the tabernacle, and later the temple) didn’t get land allotments in Canaan like other tribes because God was to be their “portion.”
Whenever I re-read Psalm 84, composed by a Levite whose job description was “temple doorkeeper,” I think of that phrase. “Blessed are those who dwell in your house,” he wrote (v. 4), “they are ever praising you.” Even though they weren’t out farming or doing other jobs, God provided for them. His supply (as symbolized by these grain elevators) and His presence were enough.

PRESENCE
This sweet psalm is one I’ve marked up a lot in my Bible. Even this morning, as I prepared to write about it, I found myself moved to tears in thinking about the writer’s enjoyment of God’s presence. Through the day, the Levites who protected the tabernacle’s physical location (as did this writer as “doorkeeper,” v. 10) or carried on tasks connected to sacrifices, had a constant awareness of God’s holy presence. Steps away was the secluded gold-covered chest or “ark,” crafted after the exodus from Egypt, and holding the stone tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments. 
But ordinary earth life still took place: the sparrows (considered worthless birds, selling for the least valuable coin) and the swallows (symbols of restlessness) flitted around, their nests in nooks and crannies.

PROTECTION
Verses 5-7, which speak about “pilgrimage,” bring images of ragged, tired Jews making the long, dangerous pilgrimage to this sacred worship center. The author speaks of them passing through the “Valley of Baca.”  “Baca” implies “weeping.” Depression has a way of keeping tears close to the surface. Even this morning as I prayed for someone in spiritual need who has maligned me, I wept. I knew God saw those tears, and true to Fanny Crosby’s hymn, the Lord Almighty seemed close to me.
For such times, I have this psalm’s promise: 
The Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.” (84:11).

PURPOSE
From the heart of this nameless doorkeeper come these reminders:
*Dwell on the loveliness of Jesus (v. 1)
*Praise (v. 4)
*Trust (v. 12)
As we continue our pilgrimages (v. 7) our weaknesses will grow to strengths, our low times to joy and ecstasy when we pass through eternity’s doors to see Him in all His glory. From time to time, I need to be reminded of this truth, and Psalm 84 does that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment