Friday, December 7, 2018

REMEMBER! (Psalm 77)


One of my uncles lived through a similar attack in World War 2
(An ongoing series on the 48 psalms recommended for study during times of depression, as listed in David Seamands’ book, Healing for Damaged Emotions. This week marks the half-way point in this study begun in June. It's helped me to sense God's purposes in the challenges I've faced. Hope you've found encouragement in this journey, too.)

Our home’s wall calendar has “Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day” noted on this day, Dec. 7.  My older sister was barely a month old in 1941 when Honolulu’s Pearl Harbor was attacked and filled with death. Several of my mother’s six brothers served in the military, and one, Norman, was a Marine aboard the Enterprise,  supporting battles in the Pacific. In 1945, two years before I was born, his ship and crew endured a Kamikaze (suicide pilot) attack that killed 12 and wounded 72. Later, his duty over, Norman returned to civilian life, but did little more than entry-level jobs. He never married. But bring up the subject of war, and he would remember its death, despair and distress.

DESPAIR AND DISTRUST
When I realized that my weekly study of the “depression psalms” would land this one on Dec. 7, I thought, how appropriate. Like the author, Asaph, we can get dragged down by memories of the past. The first part of the psalm is full of personal pronouns: I, my, me. I identified with his response when sleep eluded him at night:

When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out my untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted. I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused and my spirit grew faint.(vv. 2-3)

In those dark-night and emotionally-dark times, Asaph remembered better times long ago before it seemed that God had turned His back and gone away. His hurting heart spewed out six angry questions about the very character of God:

1. Will God reject us forever?
2. Will He never show favor again?
3. Has His unfailing love vanished forever?
4. Has His promise failed for all time?
5. Has God forgotten to be merciful?
6. Has He in anger withheld his compassion?

DELIVERANCE!
The answer to all those questions is “no!” Even when life is dismal and distressing, God’s love never goes away. Asaph realized that, as well, in remembering. In his case, it was recounting the astonishing history of the Hebrews leaving slavery in Egypt. The miraculous plagues were followed by the miraculous parting of the sea, described in powerful poetry in verses 16-20 of this psalm.

At first reading, the last verse of his psalm seemed out of character with the strong language earlier:

You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron. (v. 20)

Sheep have poor memories. They need their shepherd. When times are tough, when life is an ocean filled with mines and battleships, and a sky with kamikaze suicide pilots (Satan seems to enjoy that type of warfare), I need a wise commander. When I remember the other times He has helped me in life’s battles, I am encouraged to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment