Friday, November 30, 2018

WHOM...BUT YOU? (Psalm 73)


Ever feel as empty as an old crock?  This is the psalm for you!
(A continuing series on the 48 psalms listed as “recommended reading” for times of depression, from pastor/counselor David Seamands, author of Healing for Damaged Emotions.)

Some psalms are like good friends who just get better and closer, the longer you’re around them. That’s how I feel about Psalm 73. It’s attributed to “Asaph,” one of the worship leaders in David’s time. He’s also credited with Psalm 50 and most of the psalms (#73-83) in the third division of the book of Psalms. While thinking about the message of this psalm before writing about it, I felt led to read the entire book of Job because both wrestle with the age-old problem of why the righteous suffer.

LOOKING AROUND, DOUBTING GOD (1-14)
Depression deals with such questions as Asaph poses in comparing his life to that of the ungodly who seem to have health, riches, fame, and more:
Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning. (vv. 13-14)
In reading this, I think of Job, slumped in a dump in utter physical misery and personal devastation after his fall from riches and respect. The friends who dared to come around spilled their advice, but none of it reflected the mind of God.

LOOKING INWARD, ACKNOWLEDGING GOD (15-22)
I’ve been around people who know one song, “Woe is me, woe is me.” Sung in a minor chord, of course. Asaph’s song was set on that course until verse 17:
…I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
To borrow a cliché, the end of the book hasn’t been written yet, but God knows what will go there. People who don’t follow God live on slippery ground (v. 18) and will be swept away when eternity commences (v. 19). Here’s where Asaph changes his tune from “woe is me” to “I was wrong”:
When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.(v. 22)
That’s one way to describe “entitlement,” the selfish mental state that demands special treatment—whether it be social situations, education or jobs, housing, or other areas. Instead of thanking God for what one has, “entitlement” wants more and more, without the sweat equity that might be involved in bettering oneself.

LOOKING UPWARD, PRAISING GOD (23-28)
Oh, here are the verses that repeatedly have encouraged me, adjusting my heavenly focus:
Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.Whom have I in heaven but you? And being with you, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (vv.25-26)
You can be certain that they are underlined in red in my Bible! The phrase “take me into glory” gets more precious by the year. I almost went there 21 years ago when a drinking driver totaled our car as we returned home from a vacation—but we lived. And now, dealing with physical issues of aging, I know my time on earth is shortening. If my family wants to use these verses at my funeral, that would be fine!
In the meantime, this psalm reminds me that I can’t do “life” in my own strength. Lately I have felt worn down from criticism and bullying from someone. But every morning, as I get out of bed and put my achy legs on the floor to start the day, I remember my Creator and Savior:
Whom have I in heaven but God? He is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
As Asaph concluded, “But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds” (v. 28).


1 comment:

  1. Blessings on your day as you continue to live and speak, "I will tell of your deeds".

    ReplyDelete