Friday, November 23, 2018

PORTENT (Psalm 71)


Smile--an illustration of "ripe old age"! This is an 
"heirloom" tomato.
(A continuing series on the 48 psalms listed as "recommended reading" for times of depression, from pastor/counselor David Seamands in his book Healing for Damaged Emotions.)
This is often called the “old peoples’ psalm,” but one little one in verse 7 kept gnawing at me as I read the psalm in several translations.  It’s from this verse, rendered in the New International Version (also the English Standard Version) this way:

I have become a portent to many, but you are my strong refuge.

My notes next to it---perhaps from a long-ago sermon or other study—said this: "a barometer or sign; others took faith cues from him.” In other translations it’s rendered “example” (New Living), “wonder” (1611 and New King James), “marvel” (New American Standard), and “mystery” (Today’s English Version).

WHAT'S THAT WORD?

Sometimes it’s important (not related to portent) to understand specific words, and I think this is the case here. The enormous Thorndike Barnhart dictionary defines it as “a warning, usually of coming evil; sign, omen.” The original Hebrew, mopheth, denotes something conspicuous, a sign or a perhaps ominous event. Think of Moses and his “signs” or miracles before Pharaoh. So how, in old age, can we be a “portent” to many?

 I think the answer is in reconsidering the new attitude toward aging. Long ago, the aged were respected and looked up to. Today, we dread turning 55, when the mailbox begins to bulge with AARP and cremation options literature. Our culture has shifted to worshiping the youth culture. I think of that when I see a mature woman with beautiful silver hair—and an orange or purple stripe through it.

So what can the psalmist teach us about growing old well?

First, some housekeeping business.  Who wrote it?  This psalm and Psalm 43, which commentators believe was really the second half of Psalm 42, are the only ones without an author credit. As such, it’s anonymous, though some think it was written by a Levite about to retire from temple service.  In those days, such service was so aging and exhausting (think: constant slaughtering and heaving of carcasses up onto the altar) that Levites could only serve between the ages of 25 and 50. Others attribute it to an aging David, and that might be closer to the truth if it is attached to the five verses of Psalm 70, which pleads for God to help him.  It reads naturally into the beginning of Psalm 71. From the “help!” of Psalm 70 we go right to images of how God is our help in Psalm 71. From the first three verses, He:

*Is a refuge and rock of refuge.

*Never lets us be put to shame.

*Rescues us.

*Delivers us.

*Turns his ear toward us and saves us.

*Is our fortress

His enemies have no such perspective. They claim that God has forsaken him (v. 11) so it’s time to pursue and seize him.  To this, the psalmist counters that he will have hope and praise God more, declaring His mighty acts (vv. 14-16).

The psalm, I think, turns on verses 17-18:

Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.  Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O Lord, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.

That’s the “portent,” the example of steadfast faith even to old age. Yes, the psalmist has his godless enemies and distracters. So do we, and sometimes our “distracters” are people who claim to know God but don’t behave like it. I heard it said that “Hurting people hurt people.” I’ve experienced that. But God is bigger than their mean words and actions, which nibble at me, pushing me into the blues or even depression. To be a “portent,” a warning against such things, I need to turn back to praise.

My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long,

For those who wanted to harm me have been put to shame and confusion. (v. 24)

Someone once said that when we get to Heaven, God’s not going to check us out for beauty but for battle scars. Troubles and trials are inevitable. Praise turns us into “portents”—older people to lead the way in loving and honoring Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment