Friday, November 16, 2018

SINKING DOWN (Psalm 69)


This culvert near our home takes an irrigation ditch under the street for
about 100 feet. Not something I'd want to crawl through, which
makes me think all the more of what happened in Thailand
(A series on the 48 psalms recommended for times when depression comes, from the book Healing for Damaged Emotions by pastor/counselor David Seamands.)
All the scandals and attacks of our troubled planet took a back news page in July when twelve Thai boys and their soccer coach went missing. Their excursion into a complicated cave system turned into a two-week nightmare of darkness as rains poured, the cave flooded, and hope for their survival waned. But they were rescued!

The opening sections of Psalm 69 reminded me of this tense, despairing situation. Attributed to David, it begins:
Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. (vv. 1-2)

Similar to Psalm 40, David likens his emotional state to a drowning or being sucked down in quicksand. If he’d gone to a counselor, his “get to know you” session might have sounded like this:
“I’m hoarse from screaming for help.” (v. 3)
“Everybody hates me for no reason.” (v. 4)
“Even my family has given up on me.” (v. 8)
“I’m scorned, disgraced, and shamed.” (v. 20)
Now, attach those descriptions to Jesus, for Psalm 69 is more than one man’s take on his dive from popularity. The One who perfectly showed us God’s love was hated for no reason.  Except for His mother, many doubted that He was who He claimed to be. He was scorned, disgraced, and shamed all the way to the cross where his executioners gave Him vinegar for his thirst.”  Yes, verse 21 and many other snippets of Psalm 69 are prophetic of what the Lord Jesus went through in dying for our sins. Seven of this psalm’s 36 verses are quoted in the New Testament.

This is one of twelve “imprecatory” psalms, and the only one chosen for Dr. Seamands’ list of “study” psalms for people battling depression. These psalms are full of revenge, even bitterness, toward people around them. This bothered me because Romans 12:19 says to leave vengeance to God. But here’s the basis for the psalms’ harshness. The people being called “enemies” in these psalms have rebelled against God, His chosen people, or His anointed king. 
Go ahead and skim through Psalm 69 and pause at verse 20:
I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me.
Then head into the last seven verses that start, “I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.” Draw a line from “name” in that verse to “name” in verse 36. When life is the pits (or we feel like we're drowning in one), one remedy is to deflect our attention to what is “praiseworthy.”  It is good medicine for “down times” to simply focus on God and His attributes. 

This is the other end of the under-the-street culvert,
so narrow that it would be impossible for a person to 
crawl under it. Maybe that's an analogy for the saying
that our impossibilities are God's possibilities.
I keep a little prayer notebook that fits into the outside pocket of my Bible. One of its tabbed sections is titled “God’s names,” and in there, in A-Z order, are the names of God as I have encountered them in my scripture reading. When I am feeling down, it is helpful for me to go there and just read those names and praise God for Who He is and All that He is. Sometimes at night when I can’t sleep, I lay in the darkness and go through the alphabet, speaking those names to God as worship. The negative circumstances and people who  contribute to my feeling “down” may not go away. But focusing on the One who is Light and Hope reminds me that there’s a way out of my temporary “miry depths.”

I can only imagine the astonishment of those Thai lads when a rescuer popped into their chamber. They weren’t entirely rescued yet, but the hope was there. Maybe that’s why there are psalms like this one, to remind us that when we feel lost and hopeless, as Christians we’re not really alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment