Friday, May 10, 2019

JUST PTL (Psalm 146)


Yes, these are all sun glasses, not corrective lenses, 
but they're still a reminder of Psalm 146:8, that the Lord
also gives sight when we are spiritually blind. I hope
 this soon-to-end series on psalms for "down times"
 has offered you insight and hope for the journey
(Part of an ongoing series on the 48 psalms to study when you're feeling "down," as suggested in pastor-counselor David Seamands' book, Healing for Damaged Emotions.)
If your connection to Christianity goes back to your youth, you probably engaged in some “Praise” competitions. I mention this with some reluctance, but they went like this, using a short praise chorus:

First group (loud as they could handle): “Praise ye, the Lord”

Second group (even louder): HALLELUJAH!

First group (even louder): “PRAISE YE, THE LORD”

Second group (topping the previous effort): “HALLELUJAH!

The third effort was the loudest of all, ending in giggles. It may have been fun for the kids, but as I’ve matured in my faith, I wonder if it is an affront to the Lord to trivialize such a holy “chorus.” 

HALLELU JAH
The last five psalms, starting with this one, emphasize “Hallelujah” as a serious, holy expression. “Hallelu” means “praise” and “Jah” is short for “Yahweh” or “Jehovah,” for God. It’s one way to express reverence and love for God from a full heart. Recently in reading a book about the stories behind the hymns, I came across the background for the hymn “My Jesus, I Love Thee”:

My Jesus, I love Thee; I know thou art mine.
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, My Savior art Thou,
If ever I loved Thee, My Jesus, ‘tis now.
If you envision the author of these lyrics as old, maybe gray around the temples, you’re in for a surprise.  William R. Featherston was sixteen when he wrote this poem celebrating his conversion to Christ. He lived in Montreal, Canada, and sent it to an aunt in California whose connections led to its publication in a British hymnal in 1864.  Featherston would live only eight more years, dying at 26. Little else is known about him. But his expression of “hallelujah”—“if ever I loved Thee, My Jesus, ‘tis now”-- has inspired millions.

Likewise, the “beginning of the end” of Psalms—numbers 146 to 150—seek to inspire us to declare “hallelujah” to the One who has no beginning and no end, and is worthy of all praise. We don’t worship our national rulers (the “princes” of v. 3) who will someday die. Instead, we worship the Eternal Creator God (v. 6); the Caring God (vv. 7-9a), who holds close to His heart those impaired in body and circumstance; and the Holy God (v. 9) who “frustrates the ways of the wicked.” 

“Hallelujah” is how to say, “God of all, my happiness doesn’t depend on my circumstances, or my fluctuating emotions, but upon Your character.” The concluding verse offers this raised-hands-worthy proclamation:

The LORD reigns forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. (v. 10)

And “all generations” includes youthful believers like William Featherston, whose four-stanza hymn-poem ended:

In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright.
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow
If  ever I loved thee, My Jesus, ‘tis now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment