Friday, May 31, 2019

THE POWER OF KINDNESS


The display of decorated pillows and framed sayings near the front door at my local fabric store interrupted my “fast trip” in for a sewing project.  I had to stop and silently agree with the one that said, “Kind people are my kind of people.” In the past, I had tried to practice “kindness” to the clerks who had gotten to know me on my many trips in there. When one gave me extraordinary service, I asked for a customer comment card to express my appreciation about her to the powers-that-be. That wasn’t my first effort at taking the time to commend an employee at a store. But I know there’s power in expressing appreciation for kindness—and doing so is a kindness itself.

This past year I posted this verse on my computer monitor as a reminder to seek opportunities to live it out:

A kindhearted woman gains respect. –Proverbs 11:16

I could give you a long list of people in my life, some of them now deceased, who encouraged me and enriched my life through their simple acts of kindness. They came to my help when I was overwhelmed.  They encouraged me to persevere through difficult times. They commended me for a job well done or an honor earned. Sometimes they just put an arm around my shoulder and said, “I appreciate you.”

It’s no obscure secret that there’s power in kindness. So I wasn’t surprised when I read in the newspaper (Seattle Times, March 31, 2019, p. E12) this headline:  “Can acts of kindness improve your health?”  The answer was a huge “yes”!  The author went on:

Research shows that practicing loving kindness can profoundly affect your attitude, outlook and even your health.  Better yet, you can rewire your brain to be more present and kinder to others, giving your mood a daily boost.

FOCUS IDEAS
Their suggestions included:

This "kindness" saying hangs in my daughter's home.
*Times of quiet, contemplative focusing on warm, tender thoughts, possibly of a loved one.

*Doing intentional acts of kindness to relatives, friends and even strangers (even something as simple as holding open an elevator for someone). 

*Keep a gratitude journal, writing down things you’re thankful for.

These, of course, came from a secular source. But they reflect the Biblical truth that when we are appreciative of God's gifts and mercies to us, and are kind to one another, God brings about good stuff inside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment