Friday, July 12, 2019

PATIENCE!


Somewhere, long ago, I saw this sign. I should have bought it, because it is so "me"!
I want patience, and I want it right now!
With maturity comes the realization that patience is a slow-brewed quality. It takes time to ripen that personality trait.  Like sauerkraut.  Well, maybe cabbage to sauerkraut isn’t the best illustration. Maybe cheese? Instead of the petulant “right now” slogan, I’ve mellowed to appreciate this one:

Often, when things aren’t going my way, or happening as fast as I want, I am drawn back to an old friend, Psalm 37.  It has hard words like “fret not,” “trust,” “delight,” “dwell,” “commit,” “be still,” “refrain from anger,” and “a little while.”
I once heard “fretting” called a “spiritual heartburn.” It’s the acid of impatience that wants its own way and timing, not God’s. Over and over, God has to remind me:

“Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him.” (v. 7)

Sometimes He wants me to stop and change direction.  Sometimes He just wants me to stop trying to manipulate an improbable or impossible situation. My Plan A or Plan B are just plain wrong.  His Plan C, even though it may take more time, is far better.

That’s where prayer enters into the situation. The unchangeable God is the One who can break down stubborn wills or circumstances thought to be unchangeable. That’s why I keep praying for people and circumstances that left me wounded.  I can’t change them. But God can. My job is to aspire to greater godly character. It’s what the psalmist describes as righteousness, blameless, generous, faithful, uttering wisdom, speaking what is just.

I’ve been the victim of someone’s “rage”—an angry outburst full of lies and misinformation. When that person left, I realized I was trembling from this emotional wounding. But I also asked the Lord to help me look with His eyes on this troubled person. I can’t fix the world. But I can leave those problems in God’s lots-capable hands. 

Do not fret, trust, delight, commit your way to Him, be still.  Good things do take time, when they’re left to God’s perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment