Friday, December 27, 2019

LOST


Sad day, sad day. My oldest grandson, age 6, had lost his most-loved stuffed animal, Gilbert the cat. He and his parents had checked the obvious places, like under his bed, in the cars, the school and church lost-and-found, and the toy piles at his home and ours. Nothing. Such a sad countenance this six-year-old had as he searched the toy stash at our house—finding nothing.

Then one night he and his two younger siblings (2 and almost 5) came for care while their parents had a “date night reprieve.” It’s always a circus of both cooperative and competitive play. He’d gotten tired of the train toys so grabbed the little barn known for the “moo” when you open its doors. I heard the “moo” and then the shout, “Gilbert!” Apparently, the last trip here for care, he’d put Gilbert in the barn for safekeeping and forgot all about it. In his “hunt” at our house, he didn’t try the barn. And his Nana had no reason to play with the barn and find it!

I’ve had a few lost-and-found episodes myself, lately. I’ve learned to assign “hot spots” for important things, but this time my “hot spot” was cold. I did eventually find the item, but what a search.  Two biblical parallels came to mind.  One was Luke 15, which offers three “lost” parables right in a row. First, the lost sheep, which represented the shepherd’s livelihood. Second, the lost coin, which probably fell off a woman’s “money”-necklace, representing her life’s emergency fund. Third, the lost (prodigal) son, for the loss of relationship. All three speak to God’s love: He won’t let go, He constantly provides, and He waits when we go off and make bad choices.

The second Biblical tie-in I sensed was the book of Philippians. As a young adult, inspired by friends who were disciplined in Bible memorization, I decided to memorize the book I’d heard called “the epistle of joy.” In what had been some very difficult years of my young life, I was seeking deeper joy. So, verse sections at time, written on 3x5 cards, I trudged through the task. Today when I read Philippians, it is an old friend, its teachings about deep-down God-focused joy returning to mind.

This seems to be its essential truth: that joy derives both from a healthy relationship with God and with others. What a statement Paul made when he wrote, “I thank my God in all my remembrance of you.” I hope people say that of me! Sadly, though, we can’t say that of everyone we meet in life. Toxic and unhappy people make the journey hard. But I cling to the truths about “lost-ness” expressed in John 15: that our passionate, compassionate God keeps giving second chances and more. 

The “found-ness” of a well-loved (and needing-washed!) Gilbert-the-stuffed-cat reminded me of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment