Friday, December 6, 2019

STRUNG OUT


Years ago, when our now-adult children were, well, children, part of the fun at Christmas was the nighttime drive to see homes and yards where people went all-out decorating. Oh, the excesses we saw. Santa and his reindeer-driven sleigh (yes, Rudolph had a blinking red nose) next to the Holy Family in a shed. Then Frosty the Snowman close to the green Grinch. Sparkling angels! Sound tracks! We wondered if some homes could be seen from space!

Then we came home to our simpler decorating: a string of lights across the front, a modest tree with a hodgepodge of ornaments, a kid-friendly crèche with plastic figures, and a few other family knickknacks. Oh yes, the traditional poinsettia from the hardware store’s Thanksgiving early-bird sale. By January it had lost most of its leaves. Blame my black thumb.

I don’t think my kids were irreparably damaged because we didn’t go “all out.” The best part was that after New Year’s, there wasn’t as much a hassle for the stuff to go all-in, as “back in” storage boxes.

For that, blame their mother’s leaning toward simplicity. This photo depicting simpler living, which I cut from a magazine years ago, is framed and hangs in a bedroom. The lyrics around the edge are from a 19th century Shaker song:

‘Tis a gift to be simple, ‘tis a gift to be free,

‘Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be.

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

It will be in the valley of love and delight.

I see this framed saying as I come into that bedroom to change a grandbaby's diaper. I spot it as I come around the corner with a basket of laundry to fold on the same bed. Constantly it reminds me that “love” and “delight” last lots longer than “stuff” (and certainly that holiday poinsettia!).

Sometimes when I hear someone say they bought “themselves” a Christmas gift, I have to smile inside. Maybe they indulged themselves by self-giving, but only God can provide the true “Christmas gift”--and it was a lavish one:

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! (1 John 3:1 NIV).

Nothing can compare.


No comments:

Post a Comment