Friday, August 27, 2021

GET THE POINT

We were browsing a thrift store in a little farm community when I spotted these unusual cowboy boots. They made me think of the extreme pointed toe shoes that came into vogue in my young adulthood, and are still around with their skinny stiletto heels. As someone with foot problems that require (ugh) orthotics and shoes with wide toe space, I have no “pointies” in my shoe collection. But what was the purpose of these boots?

Thanks to an internet search, I learned that these boots are special Mexican dancing boots. The longer the toe (and sometimes it's crafted to curl upward), the more impressive the boot. They're not cheap—typically crafted of exotic animal skins like alligator or armadillo.  They emerged as dance attire around 1880.

I also realized that history repeats itself. In medieval times, shoes with long, curled-up toes were typically worn by persons of royal blood or the upper class. They didn't need practical shoes since they sat around being important and wealthy while their servants did the cooking, cleaning, and farming.

Bottom line: these fancy boots I saw were for fancy solo dance moves. You wouldn't waltz with your sweetie in them unless she wanted bruised ankles. You wore these weird, impractical shoes to show off. These were no “white bucks” some may remember from the early Pat Boone era (half a century-plus ago!). They were built for parading one's dancing style to impress people.

Maybe you've been around people who act like that. Oh, they don't wear the pointy shoes, but they want to be noticed and applauded. I know the temptation. In my years of writing books and speaking at women's events, hearing applause and having people want your autograph were a version of “pointy shoes.” But they weren't to be my style. This phrase kept coming back to me for perspective: “I'm just a nobody exalting a Somebody.” These days, when I write someone, I often use the signature line, “In grace.” That's because I am here only by the grace of God. And in recent years I've dealt with people and problems that have shown me my need to keep growing in that virtue. I'm a Redeemed-Nobody in process under the care of a loving God. 

I have new appreciation for this scripture:

For by the grace [of God] given to me I say to everyone of you not to think more highly of himself [and of his importance and ability] than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has apportioned to each a degree of faith [and a purpose designed for service]. (Romans 12:3 Amplified)

I appreciate the Amplified Bible's careful translation of the Greek to emphasize that “faith” is not just believing in Jesus, but serving Him and living in a way that pleases Him. The emphasis is on humility and service. Yes, a bunch of nobodies (except for the grace of God) serving the great Somebody. No long-toe dancing boots required.

No comments:

Post a Comment