Friday, July 24, 2026

MORNING'S GLORY

It's all through my front lawn, the invasive weed called “Morning Glory.” Yes, “buddies” with the dandelions. And no matter how hard I try to keep up, these “natural invaders” hang around. I'm not chained to the ideal of a weed-free lawn, nor of the perfect life. This side of Heaven, there will be imperfection. Trouble. Financial challenges. Grief and mourning. Unwanted relational weeds. But Jesus put perspective on it: “I have told you these things : “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

When did He say that? Right before His arrest, hours before His crucifixion! Did His disciples remember those words in the midst of that commotion? Not very well at that time, as they scattered in the surprise visit of an arresting posse. But John never forgot the promise, including it in his account of Jesus' life and teachings.

Sadly, it was the next morning (after a sleepless night being pushed around to a farce of an alleged criminal court), that Jesus writhed in dying agony on an execution cross usually reserved for the worst of the worst among criminals.

Then came Easter morning, at the tomb where He was hastily interred, and the melodious voice of an angel (I wonder what it sounded like!): He is not here. He is risen, just as He said! I'm grateful that breathtaking announcement was included in all four Gospels. The nightmare of the night turned into the glory of the morning!

Even before Easter gave special celebration to the time-frame called morning, those whose inspired writings became our Bible gave special attention to morning.

*As a way to start the day with prayer and trust: “In the morning, LORD, you will hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly' (Psalm 5:3).

*As a reminder of God's mercy, and joy after hardship: “Weeping may last for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning” (Psalm 30:5).

*To celebrate God's never-failing compassion: “Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23).

What more can I say? Except: “Glory!”

No comments:

Post a Comment