I don't have much of a green thumb—my small food-growing space has no rows of carrots, corn, or even kohlrabi. (What's kohlrabi? 😁Enlarge your knowledge of vegetables here: What Is Kohlrabi? Everything You Need to Know ). But my yard does host some wonderful edibles: namely, blueberries. Planted several decades ago, this year five of my seven plants have “earned their keep” with a good crop.
With its arid climate, my hometown isn't real friendly to thirsty blueberries. But this past year I followed a hint to spread at their roots the used grounds from my morning coffee “brewing.” Between that, and a healthy “bee visitation” for pollination, I held hopes for my best yield ever. I also spread a net over the bushes to keep the robins from beating me to the ripening “blue gold.”
I wasn't disappointed. Now, when I lift that net and pick blueberries in the cool of the morning or early evening, I can usually harvest a couple or three cups at a time. While picking or packing away in the freezer, I sometimes think of the spiritual lessons my blueberry patch offers. One, of course, is their inherent “goodness.” Just one cup (84 calories), besides being high in Vitamin K1 (for bone and heart health), also boosts immunities. The analogy: a regular intake of scriptures is “blueberries for the soul.” Also, several fruitful plants are better than one. God created us to live in community, to help and bless others. We were created to bear spiritual fruit (the whole point of John 15), not just be woody old branches sittin' there.
Oh yes, my plants have some “woody old branches” from their original planting, but they are supporting the new growth of leafed, fruit-bearing limbs. This reminds me that you can't just stagnate on an old original “planting” (as in a long-ago spiritual "decision"). Those early stems must reproduce more living twigs to support the plant's future blossoms and eventual berries. There's no tolerance for the attitude, “Well, I prayed the conversion prayer back a few years ago and that should be good enough.” Spiritual growth means expansion and fruit-bearing.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get some breakfast. I make my own granola cereal. With fresh blueberries and some milk, oh my—breakfast is the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment