Friday, October 9, 2026

SCREEN TEST

I've heard of “screen tests” for aspiring actors or actresses, to judge their dramatic abilities, but never a “screen test” for....a spider. Yet there it was, clutching the narrow wire of my front window screen, unable to squeeze inside. I found a stick to flick it off, and went on with my life.

But maybe there was lesson, here—and not just showing kindness to a tiny member of nature, who was at a dead end if it really wanted inside. Sometimes “we humans” find ourselves clinging to situations or attitudes we have no business being a part of. I'll let you fill in the blanks. Or just suggest the wisdom of the apostle Paul, writing to a church on the northeast coast of today's Greece. In laying out how a Christian should act, he admonished them, “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5). The little word, “attitude,” takes in a lot of moral and linguistic territory, as used in Paul's letter to the Philippian church. In a section (chapter 2) packed with admonitions, he urged them to share godly encouragement, comfort, fellowship, tenderness, compassion, and like-mindedness. Doing so meant kicking “selfish ambition” and “vain conceit” out the door. Instead, Paul held up Christ as an example of humility, servanthood, and obedience. Yes, “screen tests” for believers.

I would have loved to be a bug in the ceiling of the room where these Philippians worshiped. Scholars believe this particular passage, listing Christian traits, was a hymn the early Christian church sang. Much of it echoes the prophecy in Isaiah 53 of the suffering servant, who would be Jesus Christ. Paul took it a step further, saying the character Jesus showed (a suffering servant, even to death) should be shown in His followers' lives. Yes, a “screen test,” if you will, sifting out sin to better nurture godly attitudes and behavior.

Half a century ago, I had the privilege of interviewing a then-well-known Christian entertainer, Pat Boone, who was a guest musician for our local spring festival promoting the area's fruit growing industries. I mean, this town went all out: teen queens and princesses, big parades with bands, horses, and floats, and a food fair. As an added attraction, it invited a celebrity as an honorary festival guest. This person would make several public appearances, plus ride the parade route in a fancy car, waving and smiling at fans.

That year, I was a fresh-out-of-college newspaper reporter. My editor wanted me to interview this celebrity pop singer also known for his Christian faith. (Okay, the guy known for wearing white buck shoes.)* The local radio station sent out their interviewer, a college intern. Our quickie interview, right before the celebrity's performance at our local football stadium, took place in this elegant location: the junior high girl's locker room in the gym adjacent to the stadium. (Real class!)

I was a bit star-struck and glad the radio intern had a ready question for the celebrity: “What's your favorite Bible verse?”  Without a second thought, the man quoted Philippians 2:12:

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Just that verse was the perfect “screen test” of that celebrity's character. No hesitation. And obviously, a moment of my journalism career that I have never forgotten.

  *Chronically Vintage: The history of white buck shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment