Friday, May 25, 2012

Fear 101

Does the prospect of speaking in public just about scare you spitless? You’re not alone. Researchers say public speaking is among the three greatest fears, right up there with fear of snakes and spiders. Often it’s #1 on the list.


Now, if that snake as a rattle on the end of its tail or a sways out of a clay pot as somebody toots a primitive flute—yes, I’d keep my distance. If the spider has a red hour-glass mark on the bottom of its big shiny black body, no thank you.

But speaking in public? After years of opportunities, it no longer is a discomfort zone for me. I’m not a golden orator, and I still deal with the nervous edge that leaves your armpits dripping like summer in the Amazon, and your mouth dry as Death Valley. But if I’m prepared and passionate about my material, and the audience isn’t hostile, turn on the mike. It’s an honor to share what God has put on my heart. The photo is me speaking to a MOPS (Mothers of Pre-Schoolers) group—and we all survived!

I started thinking more about fears recently when reading a book by Pat Palau, wife of international evangelist Luis Palau. Titled What To Do When You’re Scared to Death, it came out of her diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer. The book isn’t just about her illness, but about the whole issue of trusting God when life doesn’t go as you planned.

One thing that helped her in her cancer struggle was an understanding of what the Bible says about suffering. She distilled it to four points (pp. 96-97):
“*Tough times come to all.
“*There are several possible reasons why I am suffering.
“*It may be clear why I’m suffering, or it may never make sense.
“*My response is mine to display.”

Her response included honest prayer conversations with God, along with reading, meditating and memorizing scriptures. My favorite of those she shared is Psalm 34:4-5:
I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
It’s true: there’s a radiance, a visage of hope, in the faces of those who’ve risen above their fears. Other points Palau made in overcoming fear: trust God for that day (in other words, don’t be a tomorrow-trouble-borrower); and determine to pray for, and help, others. Distilled another way, one antidote to fear is pulling attention off yourself and onto God’s Word and the needs of others.

“When fears wash over you,” she wrote, “find the trigger. Ask yourself, ‘Where did this come from?’” Instead of giving in to those fears, she added, “train your thoughts to take another route.”

One final perspective she offered applies to all of us. In eternity we won’t be asked about our awards, riches, or achievements. However, God will be interested in how we answer these: “What did you do with the gifts God gave to you? Did you bring anyone with you?” (p. 244).

And maybe that’s why public speaking doesn’t petrify me like it did during my college years in taking Speech 101. Through trials and a deepening love for the Word, God has given me a joy to share about Him. We don’t have to be smooth or perfect, but we need to be real, and willing to be His mouthpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment